Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If u had to choose two of these cards

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: If u had to choose two of these cards

@Steelersboy wrote:

i have reviewed the 5% cash back per quarter on the chase freedom for restaurants and gasoline up to $1500.Thats more than the 3% for gas from BOA and 2% from Chase Amazon for restaurants I currently get. Will definitely keep my eye on this one. Im pretty much set on getting the BCE.

Get the BCP, not the BCE.  Higher bonus (from cardmatch.com if possible) and more cashback over BCE if you spend $2,500 a year on groceries AND gift cards to use at other stores.

Message 31 of 52
Boragard
Established Contributor

@Steelersboy wrote:

which two would u pick? I am looking to add two cards some time next year.

Chase Freedom

Chase Sapphire

Sallie Mae Worldcard

Wells Fargo Cash Back

Citi thank u

citi thank u preferred

Amex Bluecash Everyday

Discover It

US bank cash plus

Or two others u recommend.

I really want the Wells Fargo card and Amex BCE. Cash back and no AF are my main features. Thanks.

Chase Freedom & American Bluecash Everyday

Message 32 of 52
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Steelersboy wrote:

i have reviewed the 5% cash back per quarter on the chase freedom for restaurants and gasoline up to $1500.Thats more than the 3% for gas from BOA and 2% from Chase Amazon for restaurants I currently get. Will definitely keep my eye on this one. Im pretty much set on getting the BCE.

Get the BCP, not the BCE.  Higher bonus (from cardmatch.com if possible) and more cashback over BCE if you spend $2,500 a year on groceries AND gift cards to use at other stores.

definitely something to keep in mind, that chase card could replace my amazon and boa for the most part lol

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 33 of 52
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

i can cancel the US Bank option, there isnt one near here lol

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 34 of 52
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Steelersboy wrote:

i can cancel the US Bank option, there isnt one near here lol

And if you are culling, your original list includes both the Thank You and the Thank You Preferred.   If you qualify for the Preferred, I cant think of a case where you would want to get the Thank You instead.   Very similar cards but the TYP comes with World benefits, which while not very exciting are (possibly!) better than not having them.

Message 35 of 52
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

Sallie Mae's 5% on groceries certainly is impressive. Still, BCE gives 3%, and 2% of say a monthly $500 is a mere $10, which I can live with.

Costco's gas is usually about a dime less, so $.10 / ~$4 = 2.5%. TrueEarnings comes with 3%, so the total is 5.5% vs Sallie Mae's 5%.

Otherwise I value airline points at about 2 cents to the dollar, or 2%. But that's outside the scope here, as is the consideration that CSP needs to pay for its annual fee and also what you would have earned in cash back or points from no annual fee cards.

So complicated. Smiley Mad

Message 36 of 52
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Steelersboy wrote:

which two would u pick? I am looking to add two cards some time next year.

Chase Freedom

Chase Sapphire

Sallie Mae Worldcard

Wells Fargo Cash Back

Citi thank u

citi thank u preferred

Amex Bluecash Everyday

Discover It

US bank cash plus

Or two others u recommend.

I really want the Wells Fargo card and Amex BCE. Cash back and no AF are my main features. Thanks.

I am not a fan of Chase Freedom. In fact, I'm thinking about moving the CL to my Slate and closing it. I *hate* the stupid revolving quarterly categories. I only end up using it one quarter a year for restaurants. The rest of the year, it ends up being SD'd.

@I have BCP and Costco and *love* them. BCP gives me 6% back at grocery stores and Costco gives me 3% for gas and 2% at Costco (plus my exec m'ship gives me 4% total @ Costco). The first year's AF for BCP is usually waived and I'm going to attempt to waive it next year. You can figure out if it's better for you to get BCE or BCP.

Regarding Citi Thank You Cards, from what I've read online, TY points aren't that great: Quoted from another site: We value Citi ThankYou Points at 0.8 cents each, because to get the full one-cent-per-point value, you have to accumulate 10,000 points and redeem for a $100 gift card. That’s a tall order, particularly when points typically expire after 3 years.

Everyone has to figure out the cards/rewards that work best for them. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 37 of 52
Cprman
Contributor

I have to go with freedom and blue cash. The problem with Freedom is that it caps its higher percentage rewards. The best thing though is that amazon.com purchases this quarter for 5 % can any one say time to xmas shop.

5/08 EQ 696.....9/13 EQ 796.....9/17 EX 824, EQ 843
Amex Blue Cash 15K || PenFed Cash Rewards 18K || Chase Freedom 12K || Cap1 Quicksilver 15K || Amazon Prime 3.8K || Citi Double Cash 10.8K
Message 38 of 52
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Steelersboy wrote:

If u had to choose two of these cards which two would u pick?

You can't poll on these matters.  You need to decide based on your specific needs/wants/priorities.

@Steelersboy wrote:

I really want the Wells Fargo card and Amex BCE. Cash back and no AF are my main features.

And here's a perfect example of why: I'm not AF adverse and I don't limit my choices to cash back so what I'd choose isn't relevant to you.

I highly recommend considering the "total cost" and not just the AF itself.  Calculate out your anticpated rewards minus the AF before making your decision.

Message 39 of 52
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

I'd go with Discover It & Sallie Mae.
I also think the Freedom is ok.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 40 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.