cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you close an old card do you lose it towards your length of time with credit?

tag
Sixburgh79
New Contributor

If you close an old card do you lose it towards your length of time with credit?

Or does it stay locked in?

Many years back my first card back was a credit one card and it has an 8 dollar a month fee, just stupid. But I have so many good cards now I obviously Don't need it but I don't want to lose the time I've had it established.

Cut it loose and not worry about it anymore?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If you close an old card do you lose it towards your length of time with credit?

Id close it out. No point paying a monthly fee on a card you dont use. 

Any score drop from a length of credit adjustment would be minimal (if at all)

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If you close an old card do you lose it towards your length of time with credit?

@Anonymous wrote:

Id close it out. No point paying a monthly fee on a card you dont use. 

Any score drop from a length of credit adjustment would be minimal (if at all)

+1  I wouldn't want to pay a monthly fee on a card that is not useful to me. Also, the closed account will contribute to your AAOA up to 10 years. At that point, you may lose points, but the amount may be minimal. 

As an example,  three old accounts fell off my reports this months on TU. I went from 706 to 701. The same accounts fell off Ex with no score change. And maybe decreased 1 or 2 points on EQ. But YMMV. Everyone's profile is different. 

Message 3 of 13
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

It will still count towards your aging for up to the next 10 years or so. How long after this card did you open your next card? Once the old card drops off, your next card will become your AoOA. If the difference is only a few months to a couple of years there shouldn’t be a huge hit. If you’re like me and have an almost 17 year span difference between the two, it will hurt lol.

Message 4 of 13
CerebralZulu
Frequent Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:
It will still count towards your aging for up to the next 10 years or so. How long after this card did you open your next card? Once the old card drops off, your next card will become your AoOA. If the difference is only a few months to a couple of years there shouldn’t be a huge hit. If you’re like me and have an almost 17 year span difference between the two, it will hurt lol.

This question always intrigues me. So even if there is a 17 year span between your oldest and say the new card is one year old, when the old card falls off your new card would be 11 years old at that point. Is the 10 years for AAoA and AoOA? 

Message 5 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:

Even if hurts (and the impact depends on how many other cards you have and their age), it's probably STILL not worth paying some dollars each month!

Message 6 of 13
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I close any cards I don’t want, regardless off AAoA. However, the card will factor into your average age for many years.
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 13
Sixburgh79
New Contributor

So when it's closed will it still then count got 10 years at that moment? And yea gonna close it
Message 8 of 13
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

It's Credit One. Dump it. Enough said. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Sixburgh79 wrote:
Or does it stay locked in?

Many years back my first card back was a credit one card and it has an 8 dollar a month fee, just stupid. But I have so many good cards now I obviously Don't need it but I don't want to lose the time I've had it established.

Cut it loose and not worry about it anymore?

It will stay on your report long after it's closed, often as much as 10 years. But when it ultimately drops off, it will affect your 'age' factors.

But you certainly shouldn't be paying a fee.

Before closing it, I would call them, tell them you're thinking of closing it, and see if they offer to waive the fee or upgrade the card to a better offering.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.