Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you could only carry 2 cards...

tag
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Re: If you could only carry 2 cards...

It would have to be my NFCU More Rewards and PenFed Power Cash Rewards cards. The More Rewards isn't my most rewarding in each of its categories, but it does offer decent coverage in a single card (3x points or 3% Grocery/Gas/Transit/Restaurants). 

Message 21 of 127
TSlop
Valued Contributor

I'd carry my PSECU 2% for general spend and then my CF for 5% and online shopping bonuses. The online perks point me towards the CF over Discover.

Message 22 of 127
eastsea
Regular Contributor

I only have 2 credit cards so I have no choice but list them both.

Bank of America Cash Rewards

American Express Blue Cash Everyday

Message 23 of 127
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I'll go with a CSP/CF combo

Sapphire Preferred (transfer partners, 5x Doordash through 5/31, Trip insurance)

Freedom (5x Lyft, 5x Grocery through 6/30, Shopping Portal Bonuses)

The 1x general spend becomes worth about 2x when you transfer miles.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 24 of 127
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

NFCU More Rewards AmEx: 3% gas, groceries, and dining

NFCU Flagship Rewards VISA: 3% travel, 2% everywhere else, plus TSA Pre-Check or Global Entry credit (worth $85-100 every handful of years, and very useful if you plan to travel by air)

Plus, NFCU has outstanding customer service, and they're exceptionally generous with credit limits and interest rates, even for some customers regarded with caution by other lenders.

Message 25 of 127
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Is the question about CARRYING two cards and SDing others, or is it about closing all but two cards?

If carrying: Probably Amex Gold and Citi Costco, though PayPal MC is also a strong option. Two cards is tough. Three cards would be a more palatable minimum set IMO.

If we're talking about only having two open cards, that's a tough one due to airline perks, lounge access, hotel perks, as well as rewards/cash back. I think that becomes a pick your poison scenario. Maybe Platinum and PayPal, but it's painful ...

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 26 of 127
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

Probably Amex Gold and Citi Costco, though PayPal MC is also a strong option. Two cards is tough. Three cards would be a more palatable minimum set IMO.

Agreed. In addition to the two I mentioned above (NFCU More Rewards and Flagship), I'd keep my US Bank Cash+, which I use for 5% cash back on utilities and cellular.

Message 27 of 127
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KJinNC wrote:

Is the question about CARRYING two cards and SDing others, or is it about closing all but two cards?

If carrying: Probably Amex Gold and Citi Costco, though PayPal MC is also a strong option. Two cards is tough. Three cards would be a more palatable minimum set IMO.

If we're talking about only having two open cards, that's a tough one due to airline perks, lounge access, hotel perks, as well as rewards/cash back. I think that becomes a pick your poison scenario. Maybe Platinum and PayPal, but it's painful ...

I actually meant just carrying in your purse or wallet day to day and you don't see the rest.  They are connected to online subscriptions / auto pay bills with signed up for auto pay themselves so they just pay themselves whenever anything is due - keeping the tradelines alive and kicking in your CRs 

Message 28 of 127
Anonymous
Not applicable

I generally only carry two cards with me at a time, and it'll typically consist of my Quicksilver and either Amex Gold or Wells Fargo Propel depending on my strategy at the time. I should probably go ahead and pull the trigger on a 2% back card to carry as my non Amex.

Message 29 of 127
Caught750
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you could only carry 2 credit cards in your purse / wallet.  What would they be?

I'll be applying for an Amex Gold in a few weeks and want to supplement that with a non Amex for places that don't accept Amex.  I could just fall back to the plain ol' debit card.  

I have only about $2500 / $3000  worth of spend a month and I'm not sure if it's worth it to spread it scores multiple cards? 

I plan to put my Discover and Amex Delta Gold in a drawer while having some auto pay stuff attached to them to keep them alive.  

What would you do? 

I'd use CSR (for all travel and dining plus the insurances, credits, and perks) and AOD FCU 3% flat cash back Visa Signature.  If we get the third option it's definitely NFCU Flagship. That covers limits, lenders, perks, and protections with earn rates.  Done!

PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 30 of 127
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.