cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you only had cash back cards, what would they be?

tag
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

Re: If you only had cash back cards, what would they be?

The cashback cards I would have are the ones I think I already have: 1) Amazon; 2) Citi Anywhere; 3) Discover; 4) Freedom Unlimited/ Cash Forward/ Quicksilver / Double Cash etc; 5) BCE/BCP.  I think that covers almost everything.

The thing that's nice about cashback cards as opposed to travel cards is that cash is fungible.  So whether you only end up making $25 one a card, you can cashout and apply that to whatever you want.  Meanwhile, an equivalent amount of travel points doesn't give you many options.  That's why I try to focus most of my spend in one travel program: UR and then just supplement that with cashback categories.

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would probably choose the Amex Simply Cash Back Business card.
Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

1). Discover It, 5% Rotating categories, 5-10% Discover Deals, 1% everything else

2). Chase Amazon Visa Signature, 3% Amazon, 2% Gas/Restaurants, 1% everything else, no FTF

3). (Someday) Golden1 Platinum Rewards Visa, 3% Gas, Grocery, Restaurant, 1% everything else

4). Quicksilver WEMC, 1.5% everything

5). ???

To avoid overlap, ideally I would use Discover for categories and Disco Deals, Amazon for Amazon, Golden1 for gas, and QS for all non-category spend.

Will probably always use JetBlue Plus for grocery/restaurant spend to accrue TrueBlue points at 2x per dollar.
Message 23 of 27
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

Cashback cards are all I have.  I don't have a real need for a travel/points card.  I might in the future but that time isn't now. Smiley Happy

Anyway my favorites are Amex BCE because I don't have to fight with rotating categories and Discover IT for when the rotating categories cover everything else.   I have the amazon card, but tend to use it just on Amazon anymore.

Message 24 of 27
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

I have decided to invest heavily in Chase UR so I have:

CSR - Dining and Travel

Freedom - Rotating categories

Freedom Unlimited - General spend

I do still use my USBank Cash+ still for my cell phone because $20 a month is hard to pass up.

If I wasn't going to travel a lot I would have kept using the Citi DC instead.

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I would have Discover, Cash+, Marvel, and Double Cash cards. And maybe the Freedom and Blue Cash Everyday/Preferred cards.

I have a DC card, but my card from 1FBUSA was granted a 2% automatic statement credit each month, so it is better in general compared to the DC, since it also has no FTF. The Freedom and Blue Cash cards have minimums to redeem, so it could be harder to recommend based on spending in the categories covered. And for that same reason, some may prefer the Quicksilver instead of the DC as there is no FTF and no min redemption.

I recommended based on if I had a excellent FICO and had 0 CCs. And since you say cash back, I didn't suggest the Freedom/UR family, because that isn't straight cashback. The value is only better when redeeming for travel and points transfer, otherwise only the Freedom is potentially a great cashback option compared to the competition.

Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

The cards that i use.

AARP visa - 3% gas & 3 % resturants (20$ minimum for cashback redemption. i get about 30$ a month in rewards)

Discover it - for 5% rotating categories ( no minimum redemption limit,rewards wont expire)

Amex BCE - for grocery 3% 

Amazon prime rewards -5% for amazon purchases including prime pantry(20$ minimum for cash back )

Amex prg & everyday for travel

Capital One Qs - 1.5% ( really love their rewards structure ,no minimum redemption)

Penfed cash rewards - 1.5% (5$ minimum)

Marvel mc - movies & resturants 3% 

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.