cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you're a AMEX member would it be easier for future approvals?

tag
mauwow0682
Frequent Contributor

Re: If you're a AMES member would it be easier for future approvals?

Nice. I'm looking forward to getting a revolving card. Do you think they hard pulled you because it was the platinum? From what I've read on this board certain charge cards you can do a product change without a hard pull.

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@mauwow0682 wrote:
Nice. I'm looking forward to getting a revolving card. Do you think they hard pulled you because it was the platinum? From what I've read on this board certain charge cards you can do a product change without a hard pull.

This person did not do a PC, they applied for the Plat. and it would have been a hard for new application

Message 12 of 14
mauwow0682
Frequent Contributor

+1 with CA. Seems you would naturally go for a revolver.

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 14
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

You are both right.

I should have gone for a revolver but I applied the way I did because:

1) many positive comments by others applying for AMEX so I thought I would strike while it sounded like I could get approved.

2) many AMEX cards offer some different features but I wanted to gain access to airport lounges which only left 2 cards, plat and Delta revolver.

3) MY FICO is no where near the 766 AMEX requires for the platinum but I had one before.  I wanted it because not only did I use their benefits, I wanted another AMEX to add to the ten years AAoA.  My EX free annual CC tells me some of my closed accounts with 17yrs history is falling off soon and I am hopeful this will balance the loss of those years.

4) Because my scores are just barely at 700, I felt somewhat confident they would give me the charge card but not confident they would give me a revolver.  With that uncertainty, I wanted to make my inquiry count. 

In 12 months when the first of the 2 hard inquiry's fall off, I will apply for a revolver.  That will give me a high avg age on 3 cards. But to get that revolver in one year, no more Ex inquiries.  I was surprised AMEX only pulled EX both times.  In the old days, '70's and 80's, I thought they pulled all 3.

I hope my convoluted response helps.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.