cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you're afraid of the FR's but still want AmEx cards...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're afraid of the FR's but still want AmEx cards...

Go apply for one at bofa.com or citicards.com They have Amex cards and I'm sure they don't comply to the Amex rules Correct me if i'm wrong...
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: If you're afraid of the FR's but still want AmEx cards...

jizoe182 wrote:
Go apply for one at bofa.com or citicards.com They have Amex cards and I'm sure they don't comply to the Amex rules Correct me if i'm wrong...

Yes this is true! BoA is the underwriter for these cards.
Message 2 of 8
oneloveforall_2000
Frequent Contributor

so if you apply at amex, boa can check out your application with amex to see if they match?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well you could always go for the HSBC aka Householdbank Amex

US invitations have begun being disributedSmiley Very Happy
Message 4 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

oneloveforall_2000 wrote:
so if you apply at amex, boa can check out your application with amex to see if they match?

No, you would not be applying with Amex if it's a BoA amex or a CITI amex CC. You would have to apply with BoA or CITI.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excuse the denseness, but what is the difference between CitiAmex and Amex? or, BoAAmex and Amex?  Is it just the emblem on the card that says "American Express" or what.  Thanks for therory or explanation. 
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

DuckHunter wrote:
Excuse the denseness, but what is the difference between CitiAmex and Amex? or, BoAAmex and Amex?  Is it just the emblem on the card that says "American Express" or what.  Thanks for therory or explanation. 

Okay they are all processed on the Amex network. The difference is in the issuer.  The prestige factor comes in on an Amex issued Amex or a store clerk that doesn't know the difference.  You can't get cards like Blue, Gold or Amex's signature cards, anywhere but there.  their cobranded cards are also under their jurisdiction.  When you get a card that says Amex from a issuer like BofA, it is subject to BofA's rules for that card and not Amex corporate such as the dreaded F/R.

HTH

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Excuse the denseness, but what is the difference between CitiAmex and Amex? or, BoAAmex and Amex? Is it just the emblem on the card that says "American Express" or what. Thanks for therory or explanation.

FICO-wise, there's no difference. The only distinction that matters to FICO is whether a card is a revolving credit account (which has an amount charged vs. limit to generate utilization) versus a charge card with no reported limit (that doesn't affect utilization). Doesn't matter if its a B-minus-minus-minus $200 CL card with a $79 annual fee, or a Super Adamantium Lucifer Deluxe card made of pure titanium with a $100,000 CL that required an 835 FICO and proof of owning a home worth $1 million or more. (Well, technically, the credit limit matters to FICO, but the "level" or "snob appeal" of the card doesn't.)

On a manual review, YMMV. But if you're a credit rebuilder, for goodness' sakes, if you have none or only a couple cards, and you can get a subprime card with decent terms for someone with mediocre credit, to blazes with snob appeal. Just get the card.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.