cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ikea Projekt (Comenity), do they close unused cards?

tag
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Ikea Projekt (Comenity), do they close unused cards?

I'm gardening right now so I don't plan to get this card for a few more months anyways, but I'm pre-approved for a $5,500 Ikea Projekt card and I'm thinking about getting it after I'm finished gardening.

Here's the thing, though. I want this card for when I furnish a new house purchase about 18-24 months from now, and the card will probably just sit idle until then. Would I be safe getting this card that long before I actually plan to use it, or is it better to wait until I'm actually about to start using it?

My thought process was that if I get the card now, it will have had plenty of time to age and become an established, older account account before I apply for the mortgage, plus I'm not sure if I could get approved for that high of a SL after all the hits from the mortgage apps drop my scores. But at the same time, I have had other store cards from other banks that drastically reduced my CL's and ultimately closed the accounts for inactivity, so it would be a shame if Comenity did that to my Ikea card before I ever got a chance to use it.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Ikea Projekt (Comenity), do they close unused cards?

I would not get a card I have no use for  two years early for something that's hypothetical need at this time. 

Manage your credit right and in two years you'll have every option out there available to you. 

Message 2 of 13
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

That's a good point, a lot can happen in 2 years, and by that point I may not even want Ikea furniture anymore.

Message 3 of 13
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

That's a good point, a lot can happen in 2 years, and by that point I may not even want Ikea furniture anymore.

And most larger furnitire stores have deferred interest financing that give 12 months or more 0%.

And the problem with these specialty store cards is that you need to buy something from them at least once a year to prevent them from being closed for inactivity. I had that happen on a Target card, so for my Lowes card I stopped by last fall and bought a potted plant, this spring I bought a garden hose.  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 13
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

And most larger furnitire stores have deferred interest financing that give 12 months or more 0%.

And the problem with these specialty store cards is that you need to buy something from them at least once a year to prevent them from being closed for inactivity. I had that happen on a Target card, so for my Lowes card I stopped by last fall and bought a potted plant, this spring I bought a garden hose.  Smiley Wink

Ya that's the problem for sure, and the reason I generally avoid retail cards. But Lowe's is a place I usually shop at least once every few months, so I think that would be ok. Ikea, not so much. Probably only go there once every year or two.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember reading here of someone getting catfished for that same exact limit.  Told they would get 5500 and final approval was only 500.  Just FYI. 

Message 6 of 13
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

I found out yesterday while at IKEA my card which I opened nearly 2 years ago went inactive. They had not reported it closed on the credit reports, however to use the card I had to authorize a new inquiry. The rep at the store could not confirm if it was a soft or hard inq, so I passed and paid with my Visa
Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 7 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

It might be a workable app, if you want to use the card for the 3% categories of dining and grocery. You would start building up IKEA certs that begin expirations 36 months out, then cash those in after the house purchase.

However, that raises the question, why did you recently get CFU and CSP? The UR points look like travel rewards. 

So if the only reason you are interested in IKEA VISA is financing, there's probably other options to get there, or nearly there, with non-store cards or BT offers on your existing cards, by the time you need to furnish your new house.   

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@NRB525 wrote:

It might be a workable app, if you want to use the card for the 3% categories of dining and grocery. You would start building up IKEA certs that begin expirations 36 months out, then cash those in after the house purchase.

However, that raises the question, why did you recently get CFU and CSP? The UR points look like travel rewards. 

So if the only reason you are interested in IKEA VISA is financing, there's probably other options to get there, or nearly there, with non-store cards or BT offers on your existing cards, by the time you need to furnish your new house.   

IIRC, the IKEA Visa doesn't provide the short/long term financing option.   The latter, however, has a rewards structure.  The IKEA Projekt card is the one that offers special financing, but no rewards. 

Message 9 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

Sounds like two cards I will be avoiding.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.