Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im going with Citi Thank you Premier!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im going with Citi Thank you Premier!!!

Im going with the Citi Thank You Premier Card. Full disclosure – It seem for whatever reason Chase does not want to do business with me so getting a Chase Sapphire Preferred card is out question. However After comparing the two card side by side why would anyone get the Sapphire Preferred. The way the Citbank card is set up if you fly a lot the chase card can't touch it. Why ? Because Citibank points compound on themselves and  matching point is better than double. The BREAK DOWN!

Currency

Citi Conversion

Chase  Conversion

Citi Matching Flight Points

Citi Airfare redemption bonus

Total Citi point per dollar

TotalChasePoint

Travel

Air

Bus & Train

Gas

Groceries

Dinning

That not taking into account things you can buy through the Citi Thank you bonus center which is pretty much everything else. And they give you 3-7 points per dollar. THE BREAK!

Currency

Citi Conversion

Chase  Conversion

Citi Thank you bonus center

And that’s not  including the anniversary bonus of 5%. You may be like Chase give you 7% but 7% of nothing  is nothing. Lets use the example of 20K in everyday spending. The BREAK!!

Currency

Citi Conversion

Chase  Conversion

TotalChasePoint

Gas

Groceries

Dinning

Total Points

You Anniversary bonus looks like this

Total with Anniversary bonus

Lets say you also bought 10K in TV’s, new Frig, computer. Stuff you can get through the citi bonus center….. THE BREAK

Currency

Citi Conversion

Chase  Conversion

TotalChasePoint

Citi Thank you bonus center

Citi

Chase

Anniversary bonus

So you just spent 30K with Citibank  you got 175.959 points….$1,759.59 in airfare Vs 37,450 points  with Chase. I know what you chase lovers are going to say!!! I can flight business class with those points. AND THAT’S TRUE. You can flight business class. However I just flew my whole family to OrlandoFL and spent a week at Disneyworld…..WHAT?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
fastfire667

Re: Im going with Citi Thank you Premier!!!

Wow very detailed post! The Thank you Premier is my goal card for next summer. My fiance and I both got approved for the Forward card a couple months ago, so we have been racking up Thank You Points religiously. We are always out and about, so the 5 points for dollar on restaurants, fast food, movie theaters, and Amazon.com purchases have helped us rack up 5,000 to 7,000 points per month. My plan is to apply for the Thank You Premier next year when Citi brings back the 50K sign up bonuses. My fiance and I both plan on getting the card, giving us 100K in bonus points, plus nearly 100K in points racked up from our Forward cards. Pairing those 300K Thank you points with the 33% bonus on airfare bookings with the Thank You Premier and we will be taking some NICE vacations! I am so excited!!!

What other Citi cards do you use with your Premier and how else have you been able to rack up the Thank You Points?

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right now I just have the Citi Thank you World Mastercard. However I wanted the 2g card but only the Dividend, Preferred and Prestige card offer that. The CSR said I qualified for the Preferred card and started the product change. My 45 days ends tomorrow I have my fingers crossed

Message 3 of 13
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

While I think the Citi TYP is a good card, I think your chart contains at least a few (and possibly many) flaws. First, the anniversary bonus is 5% in year 5 and beyond of card membership. It is 1% in year one. Second, it does not apply to any bonus points, just the 1 point earned on most purchases plus 1.2 on bonus categories. Third, the matching miles are based on miles flown, not dollars spent. You also have a matching miles for gas purchases. Where did you get this information? You also don't account for either the annual fee (which is an issue in year 2 and beyond), nor the price difference between items purchased through Citi and the price you could get on Amazon, etc. Finally, you don't indicate how the prices offered through Spirit compare with those available through other travel sites. All of these factors need to be applied to see what your actual savings is.

In addition, CSP allows conversion of UR points to miles on a variety of airlines. So you are really comparing the value of using Citi TY points to purchase tickets through a specific travel agency vs the ability to redeem miles directly through the airline. I'm not saying Citi wouldn't come out ahead, just that it would make a more realistic comparison. Since I don't have a Citi card, I can't look up current prices to compare to kayak or the airline web sites. 

Enjoy the card, I think it is great and my wife likes hers a great deal. But for others trying to decide, I'm not sure this chart is a great basis for comparison.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your right the 5% only applies if you have been a thank you member for 5 years. However I already have been a Thank you card member for 2 this will be my third... If you want I could do a weighted average over my life span but seeing that Its only two years I left that out.. Its also true that bonus applies only to purchase points earned not to the bonus points. My bad on that on. What you have incorrect is that The premier card does give you 1.2 points per dollar spent on gas. Then those 1.2 points get match by the flight points(if you have them) Thats what matching means. No I didn't talk about the annual fee which is higher buy 30 dollars. I also didn't include the companion ticket. If you want to look at it that way you get a round trip  ticket to aanywhere in the US for an extra 30 dollars. The price on the thank you travel site are comparable but slightly higher.... maybe by like 20 dollars or so

Message 5 of 13
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I don't have any Citibank point cards so please correct me if I am wrong.  As cdnewmanpac pointed out, the key difference to me is what you can do with the points.  I believe Citibank Ty points can only be used to discount travel expenses at set rate around 1%.  Chase ur points can be changed into miles on various airlines.  Airline miles are worth much more than 1 cent per mile/point.  In fact, on right flights, the value can be closer to 10 cents a point.  Hence chase ur points and Amex mr points are unique in that way aside.  Otherwise you need to get airline or hotel miles/pts card to have similar benefit but locked into that carrier/hotel.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 13
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Also, chase has similar program to Citibank where you earn bonus points by buying through them but no idea how programs compare.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I glanced through the thread but I didn't see this mentioned but I also hear if you book a plane ticket with your thank you card, you get bonus points equal to the miles flown. Can really clean house if you fly frequently.

Message 8 of 13
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What you have incorrect is that The premier card does give you 1.2 points per dollar spent on gas. Then those 1.2 points get match by the flight points(if you have them) Thats what matching means. 

The only "matching" program mentioned in the t and c is the mile matching for tickets purchased with the card. It gives you 1 point for every mile that you fly on the ticket you purchased. It applies only to tickets purchasedwith the card, not ticketpurchased with points. I can find no mention to the point matching you are describing. If you could provide a link to the program you are referencing, that would be helpful, as we have notreceived any of the points you are describing and HAVE redeemed Ty points for flights.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok So I applied for the card and was givin the under review notice. I waited for five days and then called to see what was going on. They said the application was under review. I waited another 5 days  and called again. The applicaton was still under review. Two more days pasted and I get a phone call from citi. Im approved for 5K. OK to the guy above yes. you have to have the flight mile that match your thank you points in order to use the flight miles as thank  you points... Approved @ fico 701

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.