Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im irate! about my bankamericard

tag
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

Im irate! about my bankamericard

i opened up my bankamericard cash rewards in april 2011 with the offer that it was three percent back on gas, two percent on groceries, and one percent everywhere else.

now i must admit, i am slow sometimes to how my rewards are building, but fast forward to now, and it finally dawned on me i wasn't earning any bonus rewards. so i wrote them and this is what i got:

Dear Scott,

Thank you for your inquiry dated 12/04/2012 regarding the Bonus Cash Rewards on your Bank of America BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa account ending in -.

Please allow us to inform you that the Cash Back bonus offer of 3x Cash Rewards at eligible gas stations, grocery stores and drug stores/pharmacies was only available for the first six months from the account opening date.

Be advised that the last day that your account earned the 3x Bonus Cash Rewards was on 09/30/2012.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you online. Should you have any further inquiries, please e-mail us again. Thank you for choosing Bank of America.

no where on my pre approval mailing did it say i would only receive this for the first six months.

i am thinking about canceling my account. i feel screwed over.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Im irate! about my bankamericard

@scottwagnon wrote:

i opened up my bankamericard cash rewards in april 2011 with the offer that it was three percent back on gas, two percent on groceries, and one percent everywhere else.

now i must admit, i am slow sometimes to how my rewards are building, but fast forward to now, and it finally dawned on me i wasn't earning any bonus rewards. so i wrote them and this is what i got:

Dear Scott,

Thank you for your inquiry dated 12/04/2012 regarding the Bonus Cash Rewards on your Bank of America BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa account ending in -.

Please allow us to inform you that the Cash Back bonus offer of 3x Cash Rewards at eligible gas stations, grocery stores and drug stores/pharmacies was only available for the first six months from the account opening date.

Be advised that the last day that your account earned the 3x Bonus Cash Rewards was on 09/30/2012.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you online. Should you have any further inquiries, please e-mail us again. Thank you for choosing Bank of America.

no where on my pre approval mailing did it say i would only receive this for the first six months.

Yea thats pretty messed up!! Have you called in to speak with anyone about it?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 22
gettnthere
Established Contributor

I've always been under the impression that those reward categories are a PERMANENT feature of the card . If it was only a promotion, that card would absolutely WORTHLESS. sounds like you got a very mis-informed rep.

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 22
Iincognito
Regular Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

Dear Scott,

hmmm... I was a little concerned to hear about your experience, so I pulled up the terms of my rewards program. The bonus feature does not expire on my end.

General Terms

2. Cash Rewards earnings are based on the new net retail purchase transaction volume (i.e., purchase(s) less credits, returns and adjustments) charged to the Card during each periodic billing cycle ("Billing Cycle") by the Participant(s) ("Net Purchase(s)"). Earn base Cash Rewards of 1% of all Net Purchases. You will earn Cash Rewards of 2% (consisting of 1% bonus Cash Rewards and 1% base Cash Rewards) for Net Purchases at eligible grocery merchants and 3% (consisting of 2% bonus Cash Rewards and 1% base Cash Rewards) for Net Purchases at eligible gas merchants (the "Bonus Categories"), for the first $1,500 of combined Net Purchases made during each calendar quarter in the Bonus Categories. The calendar quarters are: January through March, April through June, July through September and October through December of each year. Eligible merchants and the associated merchant category codes ("MCC") for the Bonus Categories are the following: a) Grocery Stores (MCC codes 5411, 5422, 5441, 5451, 5462 and 5499); and (b) Gas Stations (MCC codes 5541, and 5542). Purchases made at a merchant that does not process transactions under these codes will not qualify and you will not receive the bonus Cash Rewards. You will earn base Cash Rewards of 1% for Net Purchases in excess of $1,500 in each quarter in the Bonus Categories. Additional restrictions may apply. Cash Rewards are subject to verification. Fractions of Cash Rewards are truncated at the 100th decimal place. For example, if you used your Card for Net Purchases of $519.59 during a Billing Cycle, you would receive $5.19 in Cash Rewards, rather than $5.1959. Balance transfers, cash advances, including purchases of cash equivalents of any kind, purchases made by or for a business or for a business purpose, fees, interest charges, credit insurance, credit protection, or debt cancellation charges and unauthorized/fraudulent transactions do not earn Cash Rewards. From time to time, special promotions may feature Bonus Rewards. Details will accompany the offer.

Message 4 of 22
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

Issue Resolved. i spoke with a polite rewards representative, and he promptly upgraded me to the right program, apologized about the error that occured with the rewards structure that i received.

it figures that i would email and get that kind of response from email. i was experiencing dissapointment as i really did not want to close my bankamericard. i knew something wasnt right and i was feeling something shady about bank of america, but know i know why i kept getting skimpy rewards every month.

Message 5 of 22
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@gettnthere wrote:
I've always been under the impression that those reward categories are a PERMANENT feature of the card . If it was only a promotion, that card would absolutely WORTHLESS. sounds like you got a very mis-informed rep.

it is the factual, and correct impression that you received; is just i erroneously received a card that had an old rewards structure attached to it; it turns out (and this is coming from the rewards rep. words) that alot of people were calling in about this issue.

Message 6 of 22
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

Issue Resolved. i spoke with a polite rewards representative, and he promptly upgraded me to the right program, apologized about the error that occured with the rewards structure that i received.

it figures that i would email and get that kind of response from email. i was experiencing dissapointment as i really did not want to close my bankamericard. i knew something wasnt right and i was feeling something shady about bank of america, but know i know why i kept getting skimpy rewards every month.

are they giving you back rewards? like back pay lol. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 7 of 22
YahComb
Established Contributor

i think there is some confusion goin on  here. the BOA power rewards standard offer is 6 months with triple points(3x) on gas groceries and drugstores, then reverts to 1x for everything. That is not a cashback card though, it uses worldpoints i think.

the cash rewards is 3x gas, 2x groceries, 1x everything else always. what exactly is your cards account name in online banking?

lol i see you got it fixed nm

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 8 of 22
patsfan1453
Regular Contributor

Bank of America screwing people over? Say it aint so...

Amex Everyday 6k || Chase Sapphire 5k || Buypower Card 5k || USAA Wounded Warrior Mastercard 4k || Citi TYP 4.9k|| Citi Forward 5.5k || Discover It 2k || Chase Freedom 5.5k || Walmart 1k || Chase Amazon 1k
Business: Chase ink cash 5k || AMEX Simply Cash 3.8k
Total CLs: 48.7k
Message 9 of 22
gettnthere
Established Contributor

+1@credit, I'd definitely be asking for back pay in rewards because you definitely got "jipped" lol it's the least they could do.

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.