Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Information about your Account Terms: REI card

tag
cws-21
Established Contributor

Re: Important Information about your Account Terms: REI card

@FinStar wrote:

I received similar snail mail notifications on the US Bank Business Cash WEMC and Kroger WMC.  I'm sure my other USB MC's will get similar notices.

"Effective 1/1/22 at 12:00 am (EDT), Cellular Wireless Telephone Protection will be cancelled due to changes to Mastercard insurance benefits program. Benefit (Policy No. 841615538) provided by New Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG company. If eligible claim made prior to the date of cancellation, benefits will be provided pursuant to terms in effect at time of coverage. Benefit changes reflect your card product as of June 30, 2021, and may not apply if your card product has recently changed. Please call the number on the back of your card if you have any questions."

Thanks, @FinStar, for the additional confirmation. This information from you  and @longtimelurker has me rethinking one of my next cards. I appreciate the heads up from you both.

Message 11 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@cws-21 wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Just got mail for my REI card with the above title.  Most of the document is about Your Billing Rights, which looks pretty standard and not sure if anything has really changed.   Then, right near the bottom of page 2:  

The Revised Language that will apply to your Cardmember Agreement appears below.

And this is that cellphone benefit will go was 1/1/22 "due to changes to Mastercard insurance benefits program, Policy XXX provided by New Hampshire Insurance Company.

I think that is the one referenced by by new Max Cash, so lets see if there is another round of dropping this almost everywhere!

I received similar snail mail notifications on the US Bank Business Cash WEMC and Kroger WMC.  I'm sure my other USB MC's will get similar notices.

"Effective 1/1/22 at 12:00 am (EDT), Cellular Wireless Telephone Protection will be cancelled due to changes to Mastercard insurance benefits program. Benefit (Policy No. 841615538) provided by New Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG company. If eligible claim made prior to the date of cancellation, benefits will be provided pursuant to terms in effect at time of coverage. Benefit changes reflect your card product as of June 30, 2021, and may not apply if your card product has recently changed. Please call the number on the back of your card if you have any questions."

Has anyone that has received these messages called to get anymore information?  The trend is starting to look like Mastercard is going to dump this coverage systemwide altogether. If that's the case, it makes the entire subject of the Elan MCP Visa vs MC a moot point. So it would seem those with the Chase Freedom Flex and Wells Fargo Propel may be getting similar notices soon......worth keeping an eye on.

@Taurus22, why do you think Chase FF and WF Propel will send out similar notices given they run on Visa and AMEX networks, respectively?

The Chase Freedom Flex product is a WEMC and it is administered by the same third party provider for cell phone coverage.  Per the Chase Freedom Flex benefits T&C

"Cell Phone Protection: Coverage is provided by New Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG Company. Benefits are subject to terms, conditions, and limitations, including limitations on the amount of coverage. The monthly bill associated with the phone must be paid with the eligible card for coverage to be effective. Policy provides secondary coverage only. For further information, see your Mastercard Guide to Benefits or call 1-800-MASTERCARD. Visit mycardbenefits.com Opens Overlay to file a claim."

As far as WF Propel AmEx, I believe they go through a different provider based on their T&C: "Virginia Surety Company, Inc. Administrator means TWG Innovative Solutions, Inc."

Message 12 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Looking at the Citizen's Bank guide to World Mastercard benefits (which looks generic) ALL insurance  benefits are provided by this company.

The insurance benefits are provided under a Group Policy issued by New
Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG

On the hopeful side, even if the policy has changed, it doesn't mean that all issuers will make the same decision, in the same way that some have always opted out whereas others haven't.

But for Max Cash, given USB seems to be ending it, I would think Elan might be doing so as well!   (Then we can discuss whether it's Elan or the FIs!)   But assuming enough people "know" (which may not be likely)  I can imagine that lots of people find the MaxCash MC combination of 5% cell phone rewards and insurance enticing, perhaps hastening the ending for it!   Or not...

Message 13 of 20
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@cws-21 wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Just got mail for my REI card with the above title.  Most of the document is about Your Billing Rights, which looks pretty standard and not sure if anything has really changed.   Then, right near the bottom of page 2:  

The Revised Language that will apply to your Cardmember Agreement appears below.

And this is that cellphone benefit will go was 1/1/22 "due to changes to Mastercard insurance benefits program, Policy XXX provided by New Hampshire Insurance Company.

I think that is the one referenced by by new Max Cash, so lets see if there is another round of dropping this almost everywhere!

Has anyone that has received these messages called to get anymore information?  The trend is starting to look like Mastercard is going to dump this coverage systemwide altogether. If that's the case, it makes the entire subject of the Elan MCP Visa vs MC a moot point. So it would seem those with the Chase Freedom Flex and Wells Fargo Propel may be getting similar notices soon......worth keeping an eye on.

@Taurus22, why do you think Chase FF and WF Propel will send out similar notices given they run on Visa and AMEX networks, respectively?

The Chase Freedom Flex product is a WEMC and it is administered by the same third party provider for cell phone coverage.  Per the Chase Freedom Flex benefits T&C

"Cell Phone Protection: Coverage is provided by New Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG Company. Benefits are subject to terms, conditions, and limitations, including limitations on the amount of coverage. The monthly bill associated with the phone must be paid with the eligible card for coverage to be effective. Policy provides secondary coverage only. For further information, see your Mastercard Guide to Benefits or call 1-800-MASTERCARD. Visit mycardbenefits.com Opens Overlay to file a claim."

As far as WF Propel AmEx, I believe they go through a different provider based on their T&C: "Virginia Surety Company, Inc. Administrator means TWG Innovative Solutions, Inc."

As @FinStar  mentioned, Chase FF is a MC that offers phone protection. That much I did know.  As far as the Propel, I don't know why I was thinking it might be blanketed under the same provider, so I was clearly mistaken there. All apologies.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 14 of 20
cws-21
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote: 

Thanks for the correction, @FinStar. I was thinking of the Chase Freedom Unlimited being a Visa.

Message 15 of 20
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@longtimelurker @FinStar , I was just about to post my US Bank notice as well. Seems as though its a change with Mastercard. 

Message 16 of 20
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

What is the time requirement for changes to go into effect?  I have yet to receive anything about my Chase FF, the only reason I PC'd my Freedom was to get the cell phone insurance.  

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 17 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

What is the time requirement for changes to go into effect?  I have yet to receive anything about my Chase FF, the only reason I PC'd my Freedom was to get the cell phone insurance.  

US Bank is 1/1/2022, but we haven't heard here yet about any other institution, so Chase might be fine.

Message 18 of 20
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@EAJuggalo wrote:

US Bank is 1/1/2022, but we haven't heard here yet about any other institution, so Chase might be fine.

My question was more to do with the regulatory requirements.  How far in advance of the T&C change does the FI have to notify customers?

I researched my own question and the answer is 45 days.  If this is a MC wide change we will know by the middle of November at the lastest.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 19 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@EAJuggalo wrote:

My question was more to do with the regulatory requirements.  How far in advance of the T&C change does the FI have to notify customers?

I researched my own question and the answer is 45 days.  If this is a MC wide change we will know by the middle of November at the lastest.

My interpretation (i.e. guess) is that the insurance policy has "changed", presumably more expensive in some way, rather than been cancelled.  So while it might be a MC wide change, issuers can still decide to opt in or not at any time.   So not hearing by the middle of Nov, just means the change won't happen 1/1, and doesn't guarantee that Chase, for example, isn't seriously reevaluating!

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.