cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Leiu Of The Recent AMEX CLDs Lately...

tag
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

In Leiu Of The Recent AMEX CLDs Lately...

Does anyone here with medicore to high CLs on their revolvers ($10k or greater) still plan to push them as high as they hope they can go? Just curious. I for one will probably stand pat for awhile with what I have. Besides my last CLI request request in January was turned down--I'm current at a little more than 50% of my reported income across all cards.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: In Leiu Of The Recent AMEX CLDs Lately...

Lol @ 10k being mediocre. Wonder what below 10k gets us, horrible?Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 27
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lol @ 10k being mediocre. Wonder what below 10k gets us, horrible?Smiley Wink

LOL AJC I think that falls under what every man hates to hear.........."puny"  As to OP I always think it is stretching the boundaries to ask for more than you may need, so I am usually happy with CL's that are enough to put that big item ticket on occasionally and call it a day. The whole "padding" thing is so over the top......at least in my case it is......

Message 3 of 27
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Having a crowbar or two can have its advantages.  In some cases it can help incent an issuer to grant credit or a higher CL. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I don't see the need, I almost never come close to my limits as it is with Amex. They're all at or slightly above $10K mark, but most of my spend is on the Gold. And currently paying down a balance on the ED. So I don't plan to aggressively seek CLIs, but I may ask for a little bit more to possibly break even at $15-20K CL on each. 

However, I might close my BCE and move that CL to the Bonvoy Biz. I just dont get any use from it, and not into CB cards ATM. I jumped over to the MR side.

Message 5 of 27
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Personally I don't see the need, I almost never come close to my limits as it is with Amex. They're all at or slightly above $10K mark, but most of my spend is on the Gold. And currently paying down a balance on the ED. So I don't plan to aggressively seek CLIs, but I may ask for a little bit more to possibly break even at $15-20K CL on each. 

However, I might close my BCE and move that CL to the Bonvoy Biz. I just dont get any use from it, and not into CB cards ATM. I jumped over to the MR side.

@Anonymous wrote:

Same here--a vast majority of my AMEX spend lately has been on my Gold also--I use it practically every day and sometimes more than once per day. I think about a higher CL on my BV biz also--but then I think what's the point seeing as how you can spend up to your limit w/o any UTL penalties anyway. Plus the APR on my BV biz is too high anyway.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 6 of 27
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I'm maxed out with Amex. So nothing left to push for. lol
I'll close one and reopen under a different card sooner or later.
Message 7 of 27
xaximus
Valued Contributor

I most likely wont, the cards that I have that are 10k plus are sufficient, the ones that are still slightly under that, I may push but for what my expenses are, I think I'll probably just stand pat and let me AAoA build for now. I need to trim some cards anyway so other then combining some cards and trimming down, I don't plan on doing much.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 8 of 27
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I had already decided before the 4 or 5 CLDs we heard about, that I had way more CLs than I needed. At first I said it was for padding but kind of untrue since my UT is super low anyway. So nope, I won’t ask for a CLI this year anyway. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 27
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Most of us have more credit than we need.  If you pay off your balances each month, you really don't need more than about 10x your monthly spend in overall credit limit to keep utilization within the best range.  My monthly credit card spending is between $2,500 and $3,000, so I really don't need more than $30,000 in overall credit limit -- yet I have several times that.  I fully expect to see my banks and credit unions reduce some of my credit limits if present trends continue.  And I'm certainly not applying for any credit limit increases.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.