Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In a pinch w/finances---OneMain Financial/Firestone

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

In a pinch w/finances---OneMain Financial/Firestone

Hi. So I've read too much on these boards and learned too much to admit what I did.  We've had a crazy/tough year w/everything U can imagine go wrong (family death, AC Unit went out, now truck is acting up, etc.).  We got some of those OneMain Financial offers in the mail & always thought how crazy they would be with their terms.  Then, I felt I had no choice but to apply for a personal loan (no collateral); I was approved @ 35% & only $1700.  I did it, and we are managing.  I am so embarrassed that I did this. 

So my truck was acting up (either transmission or starter); I app'd at Firestone after reading about it on these boards.  I was approved for $2400. 

Sometimes you have to do things that you know are not right after exhausting all other means.  I just wanted to share with others who might be in the same boat.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: In a pinch w/finances---OneMain Financial/Firestone

Times are already tough. Why beat up on yourself, too?

Just do what it takes to recover and keep moving forward, Man.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Appreciate the kind words.

Message 3 of 14
OnMyMiNd04
Valued Member

I agree with drkaje. We all make mistakes, and if anyone on here acts like they don't... please! 

I wish the best to you and your family, and hope that you are able to get yourselves in a better place sooner than later! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 14
drkaje
Senior Contributor

God hasn't made a perfect person, yet. Smiley Happy

Sometimes you're just stuck and have to make bad short term moves.

Hope things turn around and you get those expensive loans paid off.

Be well,

Jake

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 14
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We've had a crazy/tough year w/everything U can imagine go wrong

(family death, AC Unit went out, now truck is acting up, etc 

Sometimes you have to do things that you know are not right

after exhausting all other means.

I just wanted to share with others who might be in the same boat.

Please accept my condolences for the death in your family.

Having my aunt and mother both pass away within the last year,

I have some idea of what you are going through. I at least am doing fine financially.

If I might share a little of what I have learned.

You may not even yet know just how much you have been impacted by your loved one's death. It is difficult if not completely impossible to make the right decisions, when being preoccupied with grief. Even when your grief seems to diminish, you still need to be cautious about major decisions. Don't beat yourself up about the financial setbacks. Focus on drawing closer to your family & friends. Trust God. He will provide.

I do know that prayers for you and your family will be answered. I will be praying for your needs and know that others in this forum will also. Don't beat yourself up. It is time to heal. It will get better.

Thank you for sharing. It gives us all an opportunity to pause and contemplate our own lives as we become more aware of the boats that other people are in. I realize that what I am personally going through is probably not as stressful as what you are facing. Again my deepest condolences for all of your loss.

Message 6 of 14
tcbofade
Super Contributor

As others have already mentioned, don't beat yourself up...financial set backs happen, and you do what you have to do to feed your family.

Sorry for your loss, and hopefully, next year will be kinder to you.  Smiley Happy

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 7 of 14
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Please allow me to add my condolances on your loss. You've had to deal with a heavy amount of difficulties within a short time frame, so please don't beat yourself up. You did what you needed to do to ensure that your family's needs were met. I don't see it as being "wrong," but simply as less than ideal. As the saying goes, life is what happens  to you while you're busy making other plans. I hope that life becomes kinder to you soon and you are able pay off these loans in short order.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 8 of 14
Xu

+1

Message 9 of 14
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

+1  My condolences to you and your family...

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.