cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the past four months I raised my score(Tu=700 ex= 680...

tag
williamd1972
Contributor

In the past four months I raised my score(Tu=700 ex= 680...

In the past four months I raised my score(Tu=700 ex= 680 eq684
=685  ) . I have raised my score  primiraly by writting good will letters and having negative information removed from my report, that's the good news. The bad news is, I had an old AT&T account from 2001,  which I owed 500 dollars.  There had always been a company(UNIFUND) making inquiries on my credit report and writing me asking for payment for the AT&T account. I figured the account was old and that it didnt make much sense to pay it. Figuring the SOL was the way to go. Until I recieved a letter saying:

RE: Unifund ccr patrners
as assignee of at&t wireless
and williamd
mjrf file no xxxxxxx

Dear Mrs

The above creditor has turned over to us for collection your account in the sum of $500

Validation notice

Unless you notify us within thirty days. We will asume the debt be valid. We will obtain a judgement etc, etc.
What is my best course  of action? And will this effect my scores? 
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

Re: In the past four months I raised my score(Tu=700 ex= 680...

That letter sounds like nasty business.  I will wait for some of the experts to respond but from what I read it can't be good.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the SOL in your state?
Message 3 of 12
williamd1972
Contributor

Sol is 6 years for a  written contract 
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Send them a DV letter.
Message 5 of 12
williamd1972
Contributor

Dv letter?
Message 6 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

williamd1972 wrote:
Dv letter?

Is this debt yours?
Message 7 of 12
williamd1972
Contributor

Yes, a  potion of the debt is  mine.  Almost $300 of was being disputed by me for services I didnt use, so I signed up with new provider.
Message 8 of 12
cgmiller63
Contributor

A DV is a debt validation letter. Once you send the letter they have 30 to respond to you. There are some great examples on this site, you just have to look for them.  I would not speak to them in person.  In the DV ask them to contact you only via mail.  I certainly would not send them payment without getting the advise of others on this site who are more knowledgable.  If this debt is from 2001 and your SOL is 6 years in your state, this could become uncollectable in a few months (depending when the first date of deliquency is).  Good luck and keep us posted.
Message 9 of 12
williamd1972
Contributor

This forum is a great resource, and I want say thank you to everyone for their help in this matter. I will keep everyone abreast of how  this matter is resolved.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.