cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In what order should these cards be apped?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

In what order should these cards be apped?

Hi all,

A friend asked my advice(go figure),and I promised him I would go to the pros. I would appreciate any help you give us.

He wants to app Discover More (received invite in mail)

Nordstrom Visa

and Macy's store.

Should he go into Nordstrom 1st?

His scores as of today are Ex(Vantage) 703

EQ (Fico)  724

TU  (Fico)  714

No baddies

1 TU inquiry in 12 mo

no other inq

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: In what order should these cards be apped?

illtakecreditforthat wrote:
IMO, I would apply for Discover 1st.  Since its a pre-qual, they've most likely soft pulled his CR.  If they notice additional recent inquiries and/or new accounts, might make them uneasy.  After acceptance by Discover (TU in California), I'd app Nordstrom, since its probably more difficult to get Visa than store card.

since nordstrom is probably a bit more sensitive to inqs than discover, i would definitely app nordstrom before discover for best CL/result, the two are equally conservative lenders more or less.

discover won't necessarily object to the one additional inq from nordstrom since the time that they softed you-- if anything it may prompt them to compete harder for your biz (higher CL) since they have already expressly shown an interest in you, unlike nordstrom-- it's not like you went and applied for 3 new accts, which in that case could bring pause.  whatever works for you, gl.

Message Edited by score_building on 05-22-2009 09:47 AM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, I would go Nordstrom, Discover, Macy's, in that order. Store cards are better to apply for in the store.

Nordstrom is most of the time an EQ pull, Discover is unpredictable (mostly EX, I guess), and Macy's should be EX.

Message 2 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I would go with Nordstrom first. They are very inq/new account sensitive. Once you get the card, they are very generous with CLI/ Low Interest rate and excellent CSR. Even if you get the store card they will upgrade the store card to Visa in 6 months.
Message 3 of 9
score_building
Senior Contributor

Ulan wrote:

Personally, I would go Nordstrom, Discover, Macy's, in that order. Store cards are better to apply for in the store.

Nordstrom is most of the time an EQ pull, Discover is unpredictable (mostly EX, I guess), and Macy's should be EX.

+1

discover pulled TU (and softed EQ) for me in ny.  agreed that they are hard to predict (in '07 they pulled EX for me in same location)

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO, I would apply for Discover 1st.  Since its a pre-qual, they've most likely soft pulled his CR.  If they notice additional recent inquiries and/or new accounts, might make them uneasy.  After acceptance by Discover (TU in California), I'd app Nordstrom, since its probably more difficult to get Visa than store card.
Message 5 of 9
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

I agree with others. With Discover being the most conservative than the other lenders listed, I would apply for their card first. Nordstrom is also inquiry sensitive so I would apply for their card in the store as well as the Macy's card.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 questions. I am also applying for 2 cards, Discover More and the Citi Platinum Mastercard, for the purpose of doing balance transfers and paying off balances with low introductory APR's. I received pre-qualified invites for both. My Q's are:

1. Which should I apply for first, the Discover More, or the Citi Platinum Mastercard?

2. Do the credit card companies verify your checking or savings account balances as part of the approval processes?

Thanks in advance for your advice!!!
Message 7 of 9
score_building
Senior Contributor

illtakecreditforthat wrote:

since nordstrom is probably a bit more sensitive to inqs than discover, i would definitely app nordstrom before discover for best CL/result, the two are equally conservative lenders more or less.

discover won't necessarily object to the one additional inq from nordstrom since the time that they softed you-- if anything it may prompt them to compete harder for your biz (higher CL) since they have already expressly shown an interest in you, unlike nordstrom-- it's not like you went and applied for 3 new accts, which in that case could bring pause.  whatever works for you, gl.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree. Nordstrom generally doesn't like any inquiries or new accounts within the last 6 months. Discover didn't mind that I applied for a different card 3 days before I applied for theirs, and both were EX pulls.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.