cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In which order would you app-spree these cards?

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: In which order would you app-spree these cards?

@primechicken

Take the time to let your inq's and new accounts age. If your current cc's will auto CLI your limits to the $5k mark while you are gardening, IMO, your chances of getting all 3 cc's are high.

To the other posts regarding inq's they are instant and although they may not show up on consumer CR's instantly they do show up on the lender side. The reason to do an app spree is so that new accts and inq's age off together (usually done in a few days but a spree can last as long as the calendar month).

Good luck!
Message 51 of 61
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:
Everything you stated is true. It comes down to thought process. I don't agree with your thought process. Just because inqs fall off in a year- that's a long time and a lot can happen. So, just because one can doesn't mean one should. I think that most don't take into account the life happens. Does the OP need the lower tier cards or even want them? I don't think so. Why waste credit credibilty for something not even wanted? The OP asked what recommendation on app order. Not what cards to get in lieu of them. I'm providing info based on this- nothing else. Getting cards you don't want- wasting inqs for cards you don't want on cards likely not approved for- sound advice? Do you not agree also that the OP would likely be approved for all the cards in question in 6-12 months with proper credit management during that time?
Edit: one more note. Inqs won't effect FICO scoring in 1 year but with manual review- inqs could be the difference between approval/non-approval. It's my belief that OP will be borderline for 5K approvals even 12 months from now. Thus- manual review.

I think in 6 months to a year OP will have a much better chance but yes, still borderline. 

I think OP would have a better shot on the Cash+ by first starting a relationship via a lower tier card. I also don't see a difference between the plat and sig priceline cards? Does the sig offer better rewards? If not, then really no reason to worry what type of VISA it is. All one really needs is a single sig product to get the services offered by visa.

All I know, is that from personal expirence. Waiting in situations like this was not too helpful. It worked out better to apply for what I wanted and then if declined find a way to get there.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 52 of 61
primechicken
Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Everything you stated is true. It comes down to thought process. I don't agree with your thought process. Just because inqs fall off in a year- that's a long time and a lot can happen. So, just because one can doesn't mean one should. I think that most don't take into account the life happens. Does the OP need the lower tier cards or even want them? I don't think so. Why waste credit credibilty for something not even wanted? The OP asked what recommendation on app order. Not what cards to get in lieu of them. I'm providing info based on this- nothing else. Getting cards you don't want- wasting inqs for cards you don't want on cards likely not approved for- sound advice? Do you not agree also that the OP would likely be approved for all the cards in question in 6-12 months with proper credit management during that time?
Edit: one more note. Inqs won't effect FICO scoring in 1 year but with manual review- inqs could be the difference between approval/non-approval. It's my belief that OP will be borderline for 5K approvals even 12 months from now. Thus- manual review.

I think in 6 months to a year OP will have a much better chance but yes, still borderline. 

I think OP would have a better shot on the Cash+ by first starting a relationship via a lower tier card. I also don't see a difference between the plat and sig priceline cards? Does the sig offer better rewards? If not, then really no reason to worry what type of VISA it is. All one really needs is a single sig product to get the services offered by visa.

All I know, is that from personal expirence. Waiting in situations like this was not too helpful. It worked out better to apply for what I wanted and then if declined find a way to get there.

I don't know. From the looking around that I've done on the Priceline card, it appears the 2% rewards on "all other purchases" is only available on the Signature. The basic Priceline Rewards card offers 1%. But if you are aware of a link to a non-AF 2% Priceline card that isn't a Signature, I'd love to see it. I might even app for that one sooner than the others for that very reason. Please share!

I got some cards with some credit limits. Some are better than others.
Message 53 of 61
primechicken
Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

So I got to thinking about your suggestion to begin a relationship somehow with US Bank beforehand and decided to browse around their website to see what cards they issue and if there might be one worth considering early. I stumbled upon this one:

https://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/credit/sportchalet/usb_sc.cfm?ics_src=87004

It's a Sports Chalet Visa that comes in Signature and Platinum. According to the page pitch, however, both offer 2% cash back on across-the-board purchases. See below:

Exclusive Sport Chalet Visa benefits:

• Over 6% in rewards at Sport Chalet1
  • 2% in rewards everywhere else2
  • Get automatically enrolled in Action PassTM when you apply if you are not already a member
  • Receive a $10 Action PassTM Reward Certificates3   automatically when you reach 300 points

Sport Chalet Visa Signature® card benefits:4

• No Pre-Set Spending5
  • Visa Signature Concierge6
  • Premium Offers7
  • Special Dining Privileges7

I'm thinking there must be a catch on this one because I haven't read about this, and it seems like a 2% 'all other purchases' card would be a topic of conversation amongst these circles if it was legit. I tried to read through some of the fine print but I started getting nauseous. Any ideas about this card? Looks like a decent candidate to help me build a relationship with US Bank, and to replace the Priceline card by providing 2% across-the-board reward. DGF and I both need some new kicks anyway. Any thoughts or cautionary advice on this?

Message 54 of 61
primechicken
Contributor

Gonna make this Sport Chalet thing a new post...
Message 55 of 61
enharu
Super Contributor

is the sportchalet card a cashback card?
what do they mean by "rewards"? Store credit? Credit for merchandise redemption? Statement credit?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 56 of 61
primechicken
Contributor

@enharu wrote:

is the sportchalet card a cashback card?
what do they mean by "rewards"? Store credit? Credit for merchandise redemption? Statement credit?

Read this post:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Sport-Chalet-Visa-2-rewards-on-ALL-purchases/m-p/213241...

Message 57 of 61
primechicken
Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

If I were to begin a relationship with US Bank by applying for and being approved for a lower tier card like you suggest, how long after that card is opened should I wait to shoot for the Cash+ card? Six months from then? Three months? What do you think?

Message 58 of 61
Dustink
Valued Contributor

You have to wait a minimum of 6 months.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 59 of 61
primechicken
Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

You have to wait a minimum of 6 months.

You know, it just occured to me that I have a CU CC that is put out by Elan Financial Services. Elan is underwritten by US Bank. You think this would suffice as an established relationship with US Bank?

Message 60 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.