cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income 75k - own my own business - Amex won't give CL increase and refuses to send me for recon.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Income 75k - own my own business - Amex won't give CL increase and refuses to send me for recon.

my Fico score is 750 - I have 2 CC's from from Amex, one business with a 10k limit and the other personal with a 1k limit, I asked for a CLI for my card with a 1k limit and they denied me because "i have too much debt obligation" of course I do - I own a rental property ... I asked the guy to send it for recon since this was an automated denial and he refused stating I would need to give an increased number for my income to send it for recon and unless I agreed to inflate the number he wouldn't send it.

My chase card - when I applied, i was easily approved for 12k instantly - Amex wouldn't even give me 3k so that I can keep my utilization low.

advice?

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Income 75k - own my own business - Amex won't give CL increase and refuses to send me for recon.

Just keep your balance low for a couple months and I’m sure you won’t have a problem getting an increase.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Income 75k - own my own business - Amex won't give CL increase and refuses to send me for recon.

Sounds like AMEX is concerned with your DTI.

Not a whole lot you can do besides look to different lenders. AMEX has, most likely, extended all the credit they are comfortable with at this point.
Message 3 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

Can you list out all the cards you have, and the balances on the last statement?

When did you get each card, month and year?

Are you carrying any balances, or paying in full?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

my Fico score is 750 - I have 2 CC's from from Amex, one business with a 10k limit and the other personal with a 1k limit, I asked for a CLI for my card with a 1k limit and they denied me because "i have too much debt obligation" of course I do - I own a rental property ... I asked the guy to send it for recon since this was an automated denial and he refused stating I would need to give an increased number for my income to send it for recon and unless I agreed to inflate the number he wouldn't send it.

My chase card - when I applied, i was easily approved for 12k instantly - Amex wouldn't even give me 3k so that I can keep my utilization low.

advice?

How long have you had your Amex cards?  You can always pay your balance off before the statement hits if you are worried about utilization.  Why is your FICO score only 750?  Hard to know the issue when we don't have the full picture. 

Message 5 of 16
601flyguy
Established Contributor

IveI gotten the same treatment stating that my balances/request amount are  too high. I plan to use my cards, pif before statement cut, and ask again in a few months. 

2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

My FICO is 750 because I built it up the past few years.

I've never carried a balance on any CC

My UTI is around 2 percent between all of my cards.

I just don't know why he refused to send to recon
Message 7 of 16
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Honestly I don’t think recon would have changed the outcome. Amex is known to stand by the original decision and it would have been a hardpull most likely.

You can always hung up call again if you don’t like the response from the first CSR.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 8 of 16
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Business debt is viewed with less favor by Amex than is home mortgage debt.  Just how large a business debt are you carrying?  Is it a business loan, or does it take the form of balances on business credit cards?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 9 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

advice?

Personally I would just look elsewhere. There's nothing about Amex personal credit cards that makes them so wonderful and unique.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.