cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income 75k - own my own business - Amex won't give CL increase and refuses to send me for recon.

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Income 75k - own my own business - Amex won't give CL increase and refuses to send me for recon.

Its possible the tone you may have used with the csr did not lend itself to furthering the call for recon. Sometimes if we get heated with a frontline csr, they might take it personal and choose not to be as helpful as they might be able to.
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Income 75k - own my own business - Amex won't give CL increase and refuses to send me for recon.

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

my Fico score is 750 - I have 2 CC's from from Amex, one business with a 10k limit and the other personal with a 1k limit, I asked for a CLI for my card with a 1k limit and they denied me because "i have too much debt obligation" of course I do - I own a rental property ... I asked the guy to send it for recon since this was an automated denial and he refused stating I would need to give an increased number for my income to send it for recon and unless I agreed to inflate the number he wouldn't send it.

My chase card - when I applied, i was easily approved for 12k instantly - Amex wouldn't even give me 3k so that I can keep my utilization low.

advice?

Personally I would just look elsewhere. There's nothing about Amex personal credit cards that makes them so wonderful and unique.

Actually Amex credit cards are awesome. Between my wife and I we have 10.  We would have more but they limit you to 5 credit cards per person.  But the benefits they give you aren't based on limits.  If someone actually needs high limits probably other banks that can give them to you.

Message 12 of 16
digitek
Established Contributor

This seems like a strange topic because there is no mystery, the guy straight up told you exactly why they didn't want to increase the credit limit on the $1k card.  Amex thinks you DTI is too high, your income compared to the total amount of debt you are carrying and your monthly payments for those debts.  What is your DTI?

Other lenders might think differently, but as far as Amex goes you need to either increase your income (like the CSR told you) or decrease your debt.

Message 13 of 16
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My FICO is 750 because I built it up the past few years.

I've never carried a balance on any CC

My UTI is around 2 percent between all of my cards.

I just don't know why he refused to send to recon

Did you try calling back to get a different CSR?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 14 of 16
New Contributor

my amex biz card (plum) wasn't going to approve a large purchase for me, so what I did was pre-pay the amount i wanted and then some.  i was like, now you owe me money... and i got what i wanted.  i don't know if your cashflow will support this approach, but it worked for me.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex has basically done the same for me. I’m maxed out at a low number with them. They cited the same reason, which is complete b.s. In my case, it’s all graduate student loans (federal). Stellar credit and income and thick profile with Amex. USAA has done the same. However, pretty much every other bank in the world has no problem extending huge CLs to me, especially Chase, Boa, and Citi.

I agree with some of the other posters, play by their rules, but Amex isn’t anything to cry over. I have a long love hate relationship with Amex, which is more hate than love. Amex consistently makes bad business decisions — that’s on them.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.