Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income for Credit Card Apps

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Income for Credit Card Apps

We generally use household income.  We share banking accounts, taxes, and children.

No credit card has asked for POI, but if they did, we could easily provide verification.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 31 of 44
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I combine income unless not allowed.

If not allowed, I cut my mortgage payment in half.

You can't hit me both ways.

Once you have some high limits, rarely is any POI required.

OMMV

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 32 of 44
NimbusIII
Frequent Contributor

2 things regarding credit applications and Income.  1) almost every financial institution post the following in some shape or form next to the income section, this one is from Discover. "About Total Annual Gross Income

Examples include current or reasonably expected salary, wages, bonus pay, tips, commissions and income from interest, dividends, savings, liquid assets, retirement benefits and rental property.

If you are 21 or over, you may include another person's income that is available to you.
A spouse/domestic partner is one example."

2) By law you are required to verify your income if asked and can not be asked to verify income of a partner, unless said person is listed on the account.  The law states that you can include another person's income that is available to you. The law also states that "It is assumed that if you are married that you have a resonable expection to your spouses income"

Also remember it is Gross Income that is being requested.

“The man who says he can, and the man who says he can not… Are both correct.”
Message 33 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Individual income only.

The only time I thought about mismatched income on account and verification is the 4506-T I provided Amex for a CLI. We filed jointly and my income on the Amex account was individual. That of course was way off, but at least in my favor.

Message 34 of 44
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

@NimbusIII wrote:

2 things regarding credit applications and Income.  1) almost every financial institution post the following in some shape or form next to the income section, this one is from Discover. "About Total Annual Gross Income

Examples include current or reasonably expected salary, wages, bonus pay, tips, commissions and income from interest, dividends, savings, liquid assets, retirement benefits and rental property.

If you are 21 or over, you may include another person's income that is available to you.

2) By law you are required to verify your income if asked and can not be asked to verify income of a partner, unless said person is listed on the account.  The law states that you can include another person's income that is available to you. The law also states that "It is assumed that if you are married that you have a resonable expection to your spouses income"

Ooof.

So if I read that right, they can't ask for income verification from spouse but I _could_ take it upon myself to supply it?

Otherwise I did a no no

Message 35 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@omgitsMatt wrote:

@NimbusIII wrote:

Ooof.

So if I read that right, they can't ask for income verification from spouse but I _could_ take it upon myself to supply it?

Otherwise I did a no no

Actually in the case of Disco, they won't take any additional documentation. If you can't prove what you put on there with a 4506-T, they'll close the account. Someone on reddit questioned them about why they say you can use household income and was told that it's because it's the law but that if they can't verify it, you're out of luck. 

ETA: I dug the post up. https://www.reddit.com/r/CreditCards/comments/dtqym2/did_discover_discriminate_against_you_account/

Message 36 of 44
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

I normally use household unless it asks for individual.

i would guess if your household is significantly higher but when you applied you used your individual then if you updated to household , it might raise a few eyebrows?

What with discover asking for tax docs, I would think that people would be less likely to use household income. I would assume that if I added 50k to my income, amex might raise an eyebrow.

Since the whole discover thing started I use exactly what is on our 1040.  It is frustrating because we have additional income that is nontaxable and my husband owns a small business with income that increases so I used to just ballpark our estimated income for the current year, but I figure it is the only safe way to proceed.  None of our cards seemed to care when I lowered income for both of us after all of the Discover stuff, but it was within 10% of what I had down previously.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 37 of 44
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:

Nah

Repossessing a car or foreclosure are by far more complicated processes than closing the card.

While those may be secured debts, recovering them is not an easy process, and neither is what happens afterwards.  

This is true. There are also additional costs that will drive up the loss. Tow company, storage fees, auction fees, DMV fees, etc. They add up fast and passing them to the customer doesn't mean it's going to get paid. It usually doesn't. 

Message 38 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@omgitsMatt wrote:

@NimbusIII wrote:

Ooof.

Otherwise I did a no no

Actually in the case of Disco, they won't take any additional documentation. If you can't prove what you put on there with a 4506-T, they'll close the account. Someone on reddit questioned them about why they say you can use household income and was told that it's because it's the law but that if they can't verify it, you're out of luck. 

ETA: I dug the post up. https://www.reddit.com/r/CreditCards/comments/dtqym2/did_discover_discriminate_against_you_account/

That Reddit thread is interesting. The legal department must be bored. They got their friends in UW to do something so they can get sued. 

Message 39 of 44
NimbusIII
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@omgitsMatt wrote:

@NimbusIII wrote:

Ooof.

Otherwise I did a no no

This is true in the fact that a card issuer can set it's own parameters on what it will accept as verification, I personally have not had to deal with Discover on this but have with Penfed and Amex and typically provide my taxes, a K1, a form 1120, a form 2555 and a brokerage account letter all at once and have never had an issue.

I think even with Discover the key thing is that if you are with in the legal bounds of what you claimed as income and could prove it you can not be charged with fraud as far as them closing the account, there are plenty of other banks that will accept your sources of income. 

“The man who says he can, and the man who says he can not… Are both correct.”
Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.