Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect AMEX reporting?

tag
megaman1
Regular Contributor

Incorrect AMEX reporting?

I recently bought an item for $17.22 and it shows on AMEX's website that I only have $1982 credit left.... The balance hasn't posted, so I was wondering if I should let AMEX know..
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
brianjb
Contributor

Re: Incorrect AMEX reporting?

@megaman1 wrote:
I recently bought an item for $17.22 and it shows on AMEX's website that I only have $1982 credit left.... The balance hasn't posted, so I was wondering if I should let AMEX know..

What is your total credit line?  If it's $2000, and you spent $17.22 then it looks ok

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 2 of 9
megaman1
Regular Contributor

@brianjb wrote:

@megaman1 wrote:

What is your total credit line?  If it's $2000, and you spent $17.22 then it looks ok

Yeah, total credit line is $2000. Shouldn't my credit line remaining be $1982.78?

Message 3 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Amex rounds the number up or down 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

Amex rounds the number up or down 

+1

Rounding, especially on a pending transaction.  A variety of lenders do this, it's normal.

Message 5 of 9
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

Yeah they will round it up. They will never report the cents. Chase does the same, I believe. Capital One doesn't if I am not mistaken. 

Message 6 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Pat94108 wrote:

Yeah they will round it up. They will never report the cents. Chase does the same, I believe. Capital One doesn't if I am not mistaken. 

IME, Chase reports the cent values and so does BOA/FIA, Barclays and Citi on pending transactions (most do so nowadays).  I can't recall at the moment whether Capital One does.

Message 7 of 9
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Pat94108 wrote:

IME, Chase reports the cent values and so does BOA/FIA, Barclays and Citi on pending transactions (most do so nowadays).  I can't recall at the moment whether Capital One does.

Yes, you are right. I just logged in my account Chase does. Capital One does as well so Amex is one of the few who doesn't report the cent value. 

Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Pat94108 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Pat94108 wrote:

Yes, you are right. I just logged in my account Chase does. Capital One does as well so Amex is one of the few who doesn't report the cent value. 

I thing the distinction may derive when you swipe the card and the lag time it takes for some lenders to display the pending transactions, then that's where some of the rounding may play part (before it eventually displays as a pending transaction with the cents).  However, the great majority merchants and POS terminals are able to process transactions relatively fast so the majority of pending transactions end up processing right away displaying the full amount in most cases.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.