Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase secured card limit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Increase secured card limit?

hi all,

I havent had much luck getting another secured card aside from my capital one. Should i just increase the limit on the card?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jbsea
Established Contributor

Re: Increase secured card limit?

Have you tried your local credit unions?  how about  Open Sky.  I have not used them but from what I have read on here people seem to be happy with them. 

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have not tried any of the credit unions as of yet. I will look into it. I have heard of opensky but have also seen alot of negative reviews. Would it still look good if i increased the amount on my cap one card instead?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not believe they do customer initiated cli's. Of course you can always add a deposit.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried this many times, they simply do not give unsecured increases, you'd have to send in an additional deposit. 

Message 5 of 7
dallasareaguy
Frequent Contributor

I started with a $200 secured capital one... I increased it to $500.. then at 6 months they increased me to $800.

I then increased it to $2000 and $2250... the card is definitely responsible for my 100 point jump from the low 500s to the low 600s... I will never regret doing it even though they currently have $1849 of my money tied up in the card. It has been a small price to pay and some day I will get a nice check back from them when the time is right.

CapOne QS
$10,250

AMEX Delta Gold
$15,000

AMEX BCE
$5,000

AMEX BCP
$1,000

AMEX HHonors
$1,600

Discover it
$2,000
FICO8 Scores:
EQ: 648
TU: 654
EX: 691

(as of 07/15/2017)
Message 6 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If this is your only card I would not be increasing the limit but opening at least 1 more secured card to help boost your Fico, preferrably 2.. You can check into St Dept FCU if you put the funds in savings and open by phone its a SP. Here is the link to the secured cards database

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Secured-Cards-Database/td-p/3846302

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.