Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing credit card limits and hard pulls

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Increasing credit card limits and hard pulls

If I contact my existing credit card companies and request a credit increase with that trigger a hard pull on my credit report?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Increasing credit card limits and hard pulls

I think it depends on the bank, CU, or CC company. I just asked NFCU and for them it is a HP for a requested CLI and that's exactly why I'm holding out for an auto CLI.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on which Card/Bank you approach. 

Chase and Barclay are known to HP in my experience. Rest of them (most of them) are SP...

Discover is in between. Many a times they're SP but they sometime HP..

If you are willing to share which Banks you're looking at for CLI, you'll get accurate answers.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you-

Capital One

Bank of America

Barclay

Are the ones I'm considering.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you-

Capital One

Bank of America

Barclay

Cap One = SP (you can request online or through mobile app)

BofA and Barclay = HP

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you-

Capital One

Bank of America

Barclay

Cap One = SP (you can request online or through mobile app)

BofA and Barclay = HP

Definitely not always the case with Barclays.  It's well documented that if you call the number on the bak of your card and ask to talk to someone about an APR reduction that they will look at that first and then you can ask if there are any SP CLI offers and quite frequently there.  Many people have received SP CLIs on their Barclays cards using this method.  If you just call them up and ask for a CLI, it will be a HP.  Here is a very large thread on the topic and people's experience doing so. I ppersonally have received 4 CLIs on my SM and AAviator cards using this method.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-BarclayCard-CLI-Soft-Pull-thread/m-p/3854097/highlight/true#M44067

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOA is definitely worth it if your scores are 700+ or have been with them for many years.  Huge increases.  Barclays can be good, if the phone in to request APR reduction method doesnt work, but they can be quirky and CLD. So its a tossup for barclays.  But worth it for BOA 1000000000%.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx!

Message 9 of 20
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I've found Citi - Chase - Barclays - BoA - DCU - Cabella's - Congressional FCU to always HP (at least for me), Discover, Cap-1, Sync, and a few others always SP. IMO, if you get a nice bump, it's gererally worth the HP.... which of course explains why I have a lot of HP's Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.