cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ink Business Unlimited....or Freedom Unlimited?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ink Business Unlimited....or Freedom Unlimited?

I'm not one for having a ton of cards. I tend to stick to MR and UR as a backup for when Amex isn't accpeted. I use the Gold for most spend, and the BBP for non category spend.

Right now I've only got the Sapphire Preferred, and would like a second card for non category spend in the UR system. Considering the Freedom unlimited...as when I log in they're offering $300 SUB for $500 spend...and then the Ink unlimted for the $500 for $3k spend...

On paper the Ink is the obvious choice based on SUB, but I've already got to Amex business cards, and wouldn't mind adding a card to my personal file to up my available credit for utilization purposes.

Thoughts? Which would likely be a better card for non category spend and extras?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

Re: Ink Business Unlimited....or Freedom Unlimited?

@Anonymous wrote:

Right now I've only got the Sapphire Preferred, and would like a second card for non category spend in the UR system. Considering the Freedom unlimited...as when I log in they're offering $300 SUB for $500 spend...and then the Ink unlimted for the $500 for $3k spend...

On paper the Ink is the obvious choice based on SUB, but I've already got to Amex business cards, and wouldn't mind adding a card to my personal file to up my available credit for utilization purposes.

Thoughts? Which would likely be a better card for non category spend and extras?

Stupid question - how is the Ink Unlimited an obvious choice based on SUB?

Sure, $500 > $300, but it requires signficantly more spend to get the SUB. I look at it this way: 

If you're getting $300 on $500 of spend (exclusive of base 1.5% earning), you're getting 60% back in SUB.

If you're getting $500 on $3000 of spend, then you're getting 16.7% back in SUB.

To me, it seems the FU requires better return on each $ spent for SUB. But, perhaps I'm thinking of this wrong.

Message 2 of 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Most people use UR not for cash back but as points for transfer to partners , so it would be more like 30k sub vs 50k sub . I personally would take 50k sub , also probably doesn't matter but small biz cards don't show up on your credit report.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not one for having a ton of cards. I tend to stick to MR and UR as a backup for when Amex isn't accpeted. I use the Gold for most spend, and the BBP for non category spend.

The Freedom will count towards 5/24 if that matters to you. The ink will not. The ink will not report to your credit report unless you go late. For me I would go with the ink because I want as many points as possible since I transfer them. If you are only doing cash back or if making the higher minimum spend would be difficult for you then the freedom would be the way to go. I would look into the freedom offer to see if this offer is going to stick around for awhile or if this is a higher than normal offer. Anytime a card is offering a higher than normal bonus signup its worth a strong consideration unless its going to put you over 5/24 and you had other cards in mind.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll likely be spending more than $3k this month on my cards anyway....so either SUB is doable. And 50k UR > 30k UR...but do I really need another business card...or should I add to my personal file with the Freedom?

I suppose my concern is I've got two business cards from AMEX in the past 6 months...would another business card make them nervous about the $27k CL they've given me if I app for a chase business card now?

My personal profile is pretty strong...750 Fico, no bad marks etc. But the CL on all my 3 personal cards combined is maybe $13k plus the Gold charge card. So adding another personal card with hopefully a better CL does appeal to me.

And currently at 3/24

Message 5 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll likely be spending more than $3k this month on my cards anyway....so either SUB is doable. And 50k UR > 30k UR...but do I really need another business card...or should I add to my personal file with the Freedom?

I suppose my concern is I've got two business cards from AMEX in the past 6 months...would another business card make them nervous about the $27k CL they've given me if I app for a chase business card now?

My personal profile is pretty strong...750 Fico, no bad marks etc. But the CL on all my 3 personal cards combined is maybe $13k plus the Gold charge card. So adding another personal card with hopefully a better CL does appeal to me.

And currently at 3/24

If you are at 3/24 then I guess it would depend on your future app plans. If it were me I would get the ink and then down the line get the freedom card. The ink won't bring you to 4/24 but the freedom card will (this is fine if you are ok with it). Keep in mind all personal cards count towards towards 5/24 not just chase personal cards, so a lot of this would be based upon your future plans and goals. You have more than a year of credit history showing on your personal report? The inks require that or at least the AF inks did. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 6 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Only you know what you need more. In my case I don't need another personal card but could sure use a Chase Ink Preferred.

No, they ain't the nervous types.

So do both. Just do the business card first, as @red259 suggested, so you don't move to 4/24 until you're done.

And currently at 3/24

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.