cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiries

tag
Kaylovee1028

Inquiries

Is it worth it to try to get inquiries removed before the two year timeframe if you have a lot. And what, if any, method has anyone used to successfully remove inquiries. Most of them are either from loans or car dealership which I gave my information and they sent it to all these lenders which I didn't know they would pull my credit. Please help, thanks

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Inquiries

Welcome @Kaylovee1028 

Inq's are not counted/scored after 1 year with FICO. They do stay on your report for 2 yrs. No you cant get inq's removed. 

Message 2 of 11
Kaylovee1028

Wow I didn't know that. I did figure inquiries weren't that important after some time but wasn't sure. Thanks !

Message 3 of 11
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@Kaylovee1028 wrote:

Is it worth it to try to get inquiries removed before the two year timeframe if you have a lot. And what, if any, method has anyone used to successfully remove inquiries. Most of them are either from loans or car dealership which I gave my information and they sent it to all these lenders which I didn't know they would pull my credit. Please help, thanks

INQ's can only legallly be removed if they were not legit and authorized. When you requested vehicle financing you agreed to those pulls even if you didn't know how many lenders the dealer would submit them to, so no they can not be removed. But as said FICO scoring wise they don't hurt nearly as much after 12 months. However lenders may or may not consider them during loan approval, ie credit cards and such.

Message 4 of 11
calisig
Regular Contributor

One more thing: it is my understanding that inquiries within seven days of each other, on the same credit report, are all counted as one inquiry for credit score purposes. Also, it seems like after three months, inquiries don't seem to affect my score much. With this in mind, even if you could remove the inquiries, it probably wouldn't make much difference.

13Oct22 Exp F8: 812
Message 5 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@calisig wrote:

One more thing: it is my understanding that inquiries within seven days of each other, on the same credit report, are all counted as one inquiry for credit score purposes. Also, it seems like after three months, inquiries don't seem to affect my score much. With this in mind, even if you could remove the inquiries, it probably wouldn't make much difference.

The window to consolidate inquiries due to applying for an auto loan, or student loan, or a mortgage  can range from 14 to 45 days depending upon the specific scoring model.  Also, a properly coded hard inquiry associated with an application for an auto loan, a student loan, or a mortgage isn't supposed to be factored into FICO scoring for 30 days after the inquiry. 

The driving force behind both of these policies is to try to avoid emperically punishing someone who is legitimately shopping around for the best rates when pursuing these types of loans. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@calisig wrote:

For auto and home loan inquries that are properly coded count as one for Fico score purposes if made within 14 days of the first.

Message 7 of 11
calisig
Regular Contributor

Mortgage, Auto and Student loan applications:

FICO IGNORES all the inquiries for 30 days - meaning your score shouldn't go down for 30 days. AFTER 30 days, your score will take the inquiry hit, BUT all inquiries related to those loans made within 45 days are treated as a SINGLE inquiry.

VantageScore treats all inquiries within 14 days as one ...

I can't remember where I came up with 7 days. I think it was a less knowledgeable loan salesman told me that when I recently refinanced, and even though I knew it was wrong, for some reason it stuck - LOL! But either way, the point is still the same for the OP: multiple loan HPs count as one if done within a short period of time. Thanks for causing me to clarify, so now I know exactly how it works. Cheers!

13Oct22 Exp F8: 812
Message 8 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@calisig wrote:

Mortgage, Auto and Student loan applications:

FICO IGNORES all the inquiries for 30 days - meaning your score shouldn't go down for 30 days. AFTER 30 days, your score will take the inquiry hit, BUT all inquiries related to those loans made within 45 days are treated as a SINGLE inquiry.

VantageScore treats all inquiries within 14 days as one ...

I can't remember where I came up with 7 days. I think it was a less knowledgeable loan salesman told me that when I recently refinanced, and even though I knew it was wrong, for some reason it stuck - LOL! But either way, the point is still the same for the OP: multiple loan HPs count as one if done within a short period of time. Thanks for causing me to clarify, so now I know exactly how it works. Cheers!

Right and purely for scoring purposes, yes.

Lenders will still evaluate/treat each individual inquiry separately by their own algos.

Message 9 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Kaylovee1028 wrote:

1.  No, because you can't.

2. Also they aren't counted in scoring after the first year.

3. Also the car dealer loans are bundled so they don't all count.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.