Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiries

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inquiries

Ive been doing some follow up reading on Inquiries on this site,, but its tough to find answers... so here goes ...
Do Inquiries hurt you when you've been approved for that credit you applied for ?

Me and the wife are currently in the process of purchasing a house, she has the mortgage loan under her name, because some of the lenders decided that would be best since I have told them that I enrolled in CCCS several years back... rather than investigate my history they decided to go with her alone and of course I will be listed on the title, but the loan itself , will not be under my name. So, I am taking on the task of trying to get some available credit to do some remodeling Home Depot, Lowes, Ikea, etc....

I have applied for a few of these and awaiting for responses from a few of them.. but my question is... throwing out 4 or 5 inquires in the time frame of less then a week... is this not a good thing , even if I get approved from all of them ?? Home Depot - 10K approved Lowes, I didn't want a Card, I wanted to apply for a line of credit and see where it goes. Ikea... same thing .. line of credit... but Iguess since this was done on Thursday,, there wasn't enough time before the weekend for them to get back to me ... sooo,, I guess I will have to wait until monday Any thoughts ????

Message Edited by JFritz001 on 09-16-2007 08:40 AM

Message Edited by JFritz001 on 09-16-2007 08:41 AM

Message Edited by JFritz001 on 09-16-2007 08:43 AM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Inquiries

JFritz001 wrote:
Ive been doing some follow up reading on Inquiries on this site,, but its tough to find answers... so here goes ...
Do Inquiries hurt you when you've been approved for that credit you applied for ?

Me and the wife are currently in the process of purchasing a house, she has the mortgage loan under her name, because some of the lenders decided that would be best since I have told them that I enrolled in CCCS several years back... rather than investigate my history they decided to go with her alone and of course I will be listed on the title, but the loan itself , will not be under my name. So, I am taking on the task of trying to get some available credit to do some remodeling Home Depot, Lowes, Ikea, etc....

I have applied for a few of these and awaiting for responses from a few of them.. but my question is... throwing out 4 or 5 inquires in the time frame of less then a week... is this not a good thing , even if I get approved from all of them ?? Home Depot - 10K approved Lowes, I didn't want a Card, I wanted to apply for a line of credit and see where it goes. Ikea... same thing .. line of credit... but Iguess since this was done on Thursday,, there wasn't enough time before the weekend for them to get back to me ... sooo,, I guess I will have to wait until monday Any thoughts ????

Message Edited by JFritz001 on 09-16-2007 08:40 AM

Message Edited by JFritz001 on 09-16-2007 08:43 AM

An INQ is the same whether approved or declined. And the point loss varies due to other variables considered on each individual report at the same time. Sometimes, the INQ will cost you nothing, other times it will cost you 5-6 points. If you do get approved and the new card lowers your Utils substantially, it might offset the point loss from the INQ. But then again, how much does a new account affect the AVG age of your CHx, which can also lower your score. All of these things are considered so it is hard to predict just how much effect an INQ will have. It seems to have less if your scores are already lower for some reason. Anyway, now that I have made things clear as mud, good luch with your new house!
Message 2 of 7
VLGaffEsq
Regular Contributor

Inquiries, generally, are not a good thing to have on your credit report, especially if you are trying to obtain a loan or another credit card. Plus, inquiries will usually lower your FICO scores (although new credit or CLI tend to offset the loss of a few points the inquiry may cause since your overall utilization of available credit will be lowered, thereby causing an increase in your FICO scores).  Lenders do not like to see a lot of recent requests for credit because you then look like someone who may be a higher risk to them, giving them a reason to deny giving you additional credit.  Since you have recently added 4 to 5 inquiries (so long as you got some credit to make home inprovements) I would cool it for now, and let your wife obtain addional credit as needed, AFTER you close on your new house.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

VLGaffEsq wrote:
Inquiries, generally, are not a good thing to have on your credit report, especially if you are trying to obtain a loan or another credit card. Plus, inquiries will usually lower your FICO scores (although new credit or CLI tend to offset the loss of a few points the inquiry may cause since your overall utilization of available credit will be lowered, thereby causing an increase in your FICO scores).  Lenders do not like to see a lot of recent requests for credit because you then look like someone who may be a higher risk to them, giving them a reason to deny giving you additional credit.  Since you have recently added 4 to 5 inquiries (so long as you got some credit to make home inprovements) I would cool it for now, and let your wife obtain addional credit as needed, AFTER you close on your new house.

It would be a good time to check yourself into the Sleigh Center and join the pledge NOT TO APP  for the next 6 to 12 mos. Make sure you read the Sleigh Center thread thoroughly. Smiley Happy

In all seriousness- take it easy on the apps now. In a year or two- IF THE INTEREST RATES ARE STILL LOW ENOUGH you MIGHT wish to look into refi the house- but ONLY if it makes sense interest and payment wise, only if your credit is good in the next two to three years, and only if they will add your name to the loan w/ no negative reprocussions.

Reason I say this is because what you and your wife have done is exactly what DH and I did three years ago for a Heloc cuz my scores were not high enough- and I made the payment all those three years and got no credit for it because it was in his name only.

Again- this method would work ONLY if your credit is almost excellent by this time, your scores reflect the excellence, DW's credit is also almost excellent, you have to pay no points, and the interest rates are low enough to warrant it.

Now repeat the following mantra- I WILL NOT APP FOR THE NEXT 6 MOS. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The interesting point in this whole house thing is that my current EQ score is 675.
Their just seems to be this interpretation that if you are or were in any sort
of CCCS , then some lenders don't want to even make the attempt...
My credit report currently is the best it has ever been, and I plan to keep it that way
sooo, my plan in home remodeling and financing will definitely be cautious one...
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

JFritz001 wrote:
The interesting point in this whole house thing is that my current EQ score is 675.

If you're wife's median score is low to mid 700s, then yeah it would make sense to use her credit only if she can get approved for the house you want with her income only.

Our broker pulled both mine and DW's credit, her scores are about 20+ points above mine, but for the loan program we got in it did not matter. They ran numbers with and without her on the loan.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

JFritz001 wrote:
So, I am taking on the task of trying to get some available credit to do some remodeling Home Depot, Lowes, Ikea, etc....
my question is... throwing out 4 or 5 inquires in the time frame of less then a week... is this not a good thing , even if I get approved from all of them ??

Remember that inquiries stay for 2 years, only impact your credit for 1 year, and the "damage" appears to fade during that year. They don't sting all that much. Depends on the individual situation. If you know with certainty DW is approved and will land the loan without your income and credit, and there's CCs you need then app away. The sooner you app, the sooner the INQ fades.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.