cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instant approved at Banana Republic (Barkleys)

tag
whoknows1
Valued Member

Instant approved at Banana Republic (Barkleys)

I shop at Banana Republic every now and then, and recently when checking out the cashier said I was approved for a Banana Republic store credit card issued by Barkleys. I don't typically want store cards since I do most of my shopping on Amazon, even for clothing. 

I may consider accepting the offer if the credit line is above $10k - that's what AMEX,Chase,Citi,Wells, usually offer me. Do the store clerk know what the CL offer is before I accept the card, or after the I accept the card? Or do they not know at all and I just need to wait for it in the mail.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Instant approved at Banana Republic (Barkleys)

Before the confusion starts over the title of your thread, you weren't approved for anything, you're simply talking about being pre-approved/pre-qualified, correct? 

Message 2 of 7
whoknows1
Valued Member

I forgot honestly, do they even offer "approved" then at the cash counter? If not, then it's probably pre-approved. Which I'm not even sure how they would do that unless they have my credit score...
Message 3 of 7
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

The new Barclays setup is similar to Sync's tiers. You've got the store card, the regular MC, and the World MC. Your credit profile will determine which one Barclays will give you. Depending upon which one you receive, they'll do periodic reviews and you can be upgraded later on (at their discretion).

You may want to consider getting a US Bank Cash+ and picking the "select clothing stores" category for 5% back (which includes Banana Republic) vs being locked into BR/Gap points. 

Message 4 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

First, I'm assuming you probably mean "pre approved" @whoknows1. Which is not the same as "instant" approved. I think you need to change the title of your thread or have a mod change it for you.

Secondly, you mean Barclays, not "Barkleys". 

Third, being that it's a store/cobranded card, I wouldn't expect a 10k SL out the gate.  Maybe something in the low 1000s if anything.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 7
whoknows1
Valued Member

what's pre approved then.
Message 6 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@whoknows1 wrote:
what's pre approved then.

What the cashier told you at the register is what's known as a pre approval. It can't be a full real approval until they fully pull your credit via a hard pull (with your consent) and run all of your information against their approval criteria. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.