Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interest Rates increases and Credit limit decreases

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interest Rates increases and Credit limit decreases

I am very confused......

It seems that about a year ago, a few of my cards decided to hike their interest rates and some have even lowered my credit limits, all without a reason for doing so or even mailing out a letter about it.

Is this even right? I don't have an information on my credit file that wasn't there before, and non of it is bad bad.

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Interest Rates increases and Credit limit decreases

Welcome to the forum ~ 

Can you list what you have for us to help you?   Thanks.

Credit Card/Loan

Date of Open

CL (before)

CL (after)

Balance

APR (before)

APR (after)

Status

Baddies

Type

Date

Balance

Status

Message 2 of 6
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Have you pull all 3 of your CRs to see if they are reporting correctly?

Do you have any lates recently? Lenders will "soft" you from time-time, if you are late on another card, it could trigger a red flag.

Is there a fraud/dispute charges on any of your accounts?

Is the card sock drawer?

Did you switch job? Your util % went above 50%?

Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, OP!

There was a time that CCCs were slashing limits and ratejacking, mostly before the CC Act. Most of the adverse action was due to maintaining elevated balances, having a baddie appear, your credit score lowering, adding new accounts or adding inquiries, etc. It subsided for the most part, though I'm sure it still happens. There are documented cases in here of none of the above applying where posters in here, with 800+ FICO scores, were hit with $10k-$20k CLDs for doing nothing at all. For many it was completely random and there was no reason at all for that action.

I went through it one time with Macys (back in the day when Macys and Macys CLs mattered) and had a CC go from $3200 to $300 and I had a zero balance on it. In fact my utilization was lower than ever before and my reports were better looking than ever before. I called and the CSR said it was due to adverse action. I asked her "what adverse action" and she couldn't answer. I escalated up the food chain and the next said that, so I took it even further. Finally I talked to someone who offered to look at my report and came back on the phone with a mostly-restored CL and got her to admit that the action was totally random and they did batches of thousands of customers, regardless of their credit. IMO, as a biz owner, I see their viewpoint. They are trying to mitigate losses in a down economy. I can choose not to do business with them and if they treat customers poorly, then I don't need their card.

Message 4 of 6
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

+1

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 5 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@llecs wrote:

Welcome, OP!

There was a time that CCCs were slashing limits and ratejacking, mostly before the CC Act. Most of the adverse action was due to maintaining elevated balances, having a baddie appear, your credit score lowering, adding new accounts or adding inquiries, etc. It subsided for the most part, though I'm sure it still happens. There are documented cases in here of none of the above applying where posters in here, with 800+ FICO scores, were hit with $10k-$20k CLDs for doing nothing at all. For many it was completely random and there was no reason at all for that action.

I went through it one time with Macys (back in the day when Macys and Macys CLs mattered) and had a CC go from $3200 to $300 and I had a zero balance on it. In fact my utilization was lower than ever before and my reports were better looking than ever before. I called and the CSR said it was due to adverse action. I asked her "what adverse action" and she couldn't answer. I escalated up the food chain and the next said that, so I took it even further. Finally I talked to someone who offered to look at my report and came back on the phone with a mostly-restored CL and got her to admit that the action was totally random and they did batches of thousands of customers, regardless of their credit. IMO, as a biz owner, I see their viewpoint. They are trying to mitigate losses in a down economy. I can choose not to do business with them and if they treat customers poorly, then I don't need their card.

Several years ago BoA closed a $26,500 LOC with a zero balance because they said I "had enough credit" so it can happen to anyone at any time unfortunately

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.