cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting Citi Prestige bonus text...

wanderingbuilder
Valued Contributor

Interesting Citi Prestige bonus text...

Just took a peek at the page for the Prestige tonight in case I want to grab it right before my trip, and saw the following eyebrow raiser:

 

Earn 40,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within 3 months of account opening.2 Points are redeemable for flights on any airline through the ThankYou® Travel Center, or gift cards redeemed from the ThankYou®Rewards collection.

Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you have had a ThankYou Preferred, ThankYou Premier or Citi Prestige card opened or closed in the past 24 months.

 

so... my Citi Double Cash was originally a Thankyou Preferred, opened in August 2015. That means that I can't get a Prestige sign-up bonus until September 2017, is that correct?

 

Haha.... what a joke.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Interesting Citi Prestige bonus text...


@wanderingbuilder wrote:

Just took a peek at the page for the Prestige tonight in case I want to grab it right before my trip, and saw the following eyebrow raiser:

 

Earn 40,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within 3 months of account opening.2 Points are redeemable for flights on any airline through the ThankYou® Travel Center, or gift cards redeemed from the ThankYou®Rewards collection.

Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you have had a ThankYou Preferred, ThankYou Premier or Citi Prestige card opened or closed in the past 24 months.

 

so... my Citi Double Cash was originally a Thankyou Preferred, opened in August 2015. That means that I can't get a Prestige sign-up bonus until September 2017, is that correct?

 

Haha.... what a joke.


It's 2 years from when you PCed from TYP to DC...PCing counts as closing for bonus purposes.

 

It's old news. I don't like it, but it may make sense for Citi.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, CFF+CF, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCE, EDP
SUB: JetBlue, Amex Platinum
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 2 of 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Interesting Citi Prestige bonus text...

IIRC that wording has been in play about 6 months or so for Citi  Smiley Sad

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 5
wanderingbuilder
Valued Contributor

Re: Interesting Citi Prestige bonus text...


@myjourney wrote:

IIRC that wording has been in play about 6 months or so for Citi  Smiley Sad


wow... so say you had a Thankyou Preferred for 5 years, but you closed it today... you'd have to wait 2 years from today to get a Prestige sign-up bonus?

Message 4 of 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Interesting Citi Prestige bonus text...


@wanderingbuilder wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

IIRC that wording has been in play about 6 months or so for Citi  Smiley Sad


wow... so say you had a Thankyou Preferred for 5 years, but you closed it today... you'd have to wait 2 years from today to get a Prestige sign-up bonus?


Oh no it's 24 months from either open or PC in your case 

Before the wording changed it was 18 months and it didn't matter which type of TYP product you had so you were able to collect on all 3 

Sadly those days are gone Lol

Still doable it just would in theory take 6 years (3 cards) WTHSmiley Surprised Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.