tag
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Interesting Discover DP - First balance reported mid-cycle

Opened: 8/23/2019 - Close 9/10/2019

Minimum Payment due 10/5/2019.

First transaction was 8/30

Updated: 9/1/2019 per Experian CreditWorks daily report

My new Discover card posted their first balance mid-cycle which was way before the payment was due (2+ weeks) so I was at 10% util. *I THINK* this dropped Experian FICO score by 7 pts  judging by no other changes.

Not worried it about it though, will PIF. Just somewhat interesting data.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Interesting Discover DP - First balance reported mid-cycle

Happens but then they almost become routineSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@randomguy1 wrote:

Opened: 8/23/2019 - Close 9/10/2019

Minimum Payment due 10/5/2019.

First transaction was 8/30

Updated: 9/1/2019 per Experian CreditWorks daily report

My new Discover card posted their first balance mid-cycle which was way before the payment was due (2+ weeks) so I was at 10% util. *I THINK* this dropped Experian FICO score by 7 pts  judging by no other changes.

Not worried it about it though, will PIF. Just somewhat interesting data.

OP, there are two fileds there. One is status updated, and the other one is balance updated. 

If you look at "status updated" field, date will be 09/01

Under "balance updated" it should have your closing date  9/10/2019

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

And if it’s ever an issue, you can call them and they’ll do off-cycle reporting if you ask them, such as if you pay down a big chunk and don’t want to wait. All you have to do is ask and they’ll happily do it - it reflects the next day.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found this thread for the same reason. My new Disco reported only a week after I opened it. My ICL is a measly $1k but I had about $350 charged on it for points, intended to pay it off before statement close date. They reported it and between the HP, new account, and >30% usage my score took a 50+ pt hit within a week. It was hard seeing that ex F8 go from 735 to 680. It rebounded some the next day and a little more the next week. Now I'm at Ex F8 710 yet statement still hasn't cut. Just an anecdote, I guess, but I've never seen anything like this. Disco seems to be pretty good and I appreciate the info that they will do mid cycle reporting!
Message 5 of 11
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I also had a mid cycle report early on with my IT card, but I thought it was due to adding my wife as an AU. I had a lot of charges on it using is as our daily card, so it dinged me for that one month, big rebounded and then some the next month. Either way, it hasn’t done it again. They’ve reported on the 21st of the month every month since then.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep they mid-cycle reported my new Miles. They reported it with an $80 balance and they reported it again at $113 and my first bill isn't due til November 19th. 

I added my roommate as an AU which generated the $113 reporting but I have no idea what sparked the $80. 

Message 7 of 11
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

I had almost 400 out of 1000 on it so it hurt me a bit too. Paid before statement balance but the mI'd-cycle reporting hurt a bit. 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can change your due date from the app. I don’t know if it helps
Message 9 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Disco may report even if payment is not due when the first statement comes after the "short" cycle (less than two weeks). Statement closes, no payment due till next cycle but reporting happens.
Adding AU will cause them to report off cycle.

If it really bothers anyone, Disco still does off cycle reporting. Calling them or chat will work.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.