Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting Email From Cap-1

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting Email From Cap-1

Hi all,

Got this email yesterday from Cap-1, never seen anything like it from any bank. Card has been SD since Aug 18 after I paid off one of their BT offers, I read every email they send me... LOL

Visit Capital One 
Open emails regularly to continue receiving notifications.

Recently, we updated the Paperless Terms & Conditions for your account. We’ve modified the Terms to make it clear that you’ll need to open a Capital One® email once every 12 months to continue receiving email notifications like statement ready alerts.

Please keep in mind, you can sign in to your account to update your paperless settings.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Interesting Email From Cap-1

@gdale6 wrote:

Hi all,

Got this email yesterday from Cap-1, never seen anything like it from any bank. Card has been SD since Aug 18 after I paid off one of their BT offers, I read every email they send me... LOL

Visit Capital One 
Open emails regularly to continue receiving notifications.

Recently, we updated the Paperless Terms & Conditions for your account. We’ve modified the Terms to make it clear that you’ll need to open a Capital One® email once every 12 months to continue receiving email notifications like statement ready alerts.

Please keep in mind, you can sign in to your account to update your paperless settings.

Huh? So now CCCs algorithms are tracking whether we open emails from them or not. Honestly, I'm shaking my head. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@gdale6  You better put a reminder on your calendar to open Cap One  email before 05/28/20

That's insane, though  😐

Message 3 of 24
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

LOL...really?? Knowing how they are with giving and taking away BT offers, maybe you'll go to log in to read it, and it won't be there! LOL
Message 4 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Make sure you email back for a cliSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

My guess is this is addressing some issue that might have happened (or has been identified as a potential liability).   If you don't open your emails often enough, the responsibility becomes yours and alerts will cease.    Maybe someone claimed they missed a critical alert and the bank should have known that they weren't being read....

At first, I thought this was also a way to deal with dead email accounts, but just stopping sending doesn't really help

Message 6 of 24
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

I got the same email.  I plan on axing cap 1 pretty soon so I just deleted it.

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the same email and my question is, how do they know if you opened the email?  By default, many mail clients block object links which woudl be the only way C1 would know you actually viewed it (a linked picture in the HTML email was requested by your email viewer so it could be rendered).  My clients all block those links.

Message 8 of 24
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

They’re getting tired of your inattention. “Pay attention to us. Or else....” 

I’ve never seen that either and it is strange that CC companies make note of whether or not we open their emails.... Next letter will say, “You need to stop throwing away your mailers from us if you wish to keep receiving email services.”

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really, if they want to start setting their money on fire snail-mailing notices to all of their CH, more power to them.  I figured I was doing them a favor by allowing them to use my email service to communicate with me at near-zero cost.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.