Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting Email From Cap-1

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Interesting Email From Cap-1

@Anonymous wrote:

I got the same email and my question is, how do they know if you opened the email?  By default, many mail clients block object links which woudl be the only way C1 would know you actually viewed it (a linked picture in the HTML email was requested by your email viewer so it could be rendered).  My clients all block those links.

Im not sure how they would know but there is some technology there as one can sign up for Discover and Chase Freedom 5% right by clicking in the email, I think they will be sending something to that effect but we will have to wait and see how they do it.

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got the same email, its prob just a generic email being sent out

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I got the same email and my question is, how do they know if you opened the email?  By default, many mail clients block object links which woudl be the only way C1 would know you actually viewed it (a linked picture in the HTML email was requested by your email viewer so it could be rendered).  My clients all block those links.

This is what I’m curious about too. I went and skimmed the terms and while they added this verbiage, they didn’t specify how it applies. I wonder if you have to click the links at least once a year? It seems a bit over the top to me but it doesn’t surprise me since people will use any excuse they can think of to get out of a fee. 

Message 13 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Im not sure how they would know but there is some technology there as one can sign up for Discover and Chase Freedom 5% right by clicking in the email, I think they will be sending something to that effect but we will have to wait and see how they do it.

Yes, if you click, not a problem.  I think Skeechan was referring to tracking-pixel approach, where just viewing the email registers the action in a server log (when not blocked!)

Message 14 of 24
JamP
Valued Contributor

DW and I both received the email. 

Both Deleted it.

Both use the cards quite a bit for eating out.

Junk mail IMO.

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 15 of 24
Spotsy
Frequent Contributor

I got these as well.  The way they can tell if you read their email is as they send out these emails for your account, they imbed a custom url that is tied to that specIfic email and your CC account.  The embedded custom URL is a simple link to an image or some other landing link they host.  Their incoming network monitoring tools will track when that unique custom URL has been requested from their servers and tags it as “the email was opened by the user for the specific account”.

This helps them validate you are reading emails.  I usually config my email clients to not opened embedded URLs or also referred to as “don’t download images” unless I request it to.  This can help with saving cell data costs on smartphones,  blocking spammers and other that send emails from tracking me or infecting my PC, as well as keep me hidden from people that send me too many emails.  Your shouldn’t have to click a link...just tell your mail client to “download images” on one of the messages you want to read.

FICO 8: TU:831 / EQ:837 / EX:827 as of 12/25/2023
Message 16 of 24
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

I also received this email and just laughed. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 17 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

C'mon @Adkins, give me a nom nom nom nom nomSmiley Wink
Message 18 of 24
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

I got the same email...

I confirmed I wanted email statements and communications when I got the Savor card 2 weeks ago LOL...

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

The three largest email clients are Gmail, Outlook, and Yahoo. They don’t block tracking by default so 90% of people out there are being tracked and not just by Cap1.
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.