Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting - Wayfair sent me a Comenity Visa credit card

tag
WavysMommy
Regular Contributor

Re: Interesting - Wayfair sent me a Comenity Wayfair credit card

@musicalmom  You received a regular non-branded Comenity card. Wayfair card is now under Citi Bank.

Message 11 of 31
musicalmom
New Contributor

Right. I get that. I'm curious if others got Citi Mastercards or Comenity and what the deciding factor was?

Message 12 of 31
jayjayhawaii
Regular Contributor

@musicalmom wrote:

Right. I get that. I'm curious if others got Citi Mastercards or Comenity and what the deciding factor was?

I got a Comenity Mastercard, maybe Citi didn't want me Smiley Very Happy

Current FICO8:

2017: $200 secured card | 2023: $200,000+ total credit line
Message 13 of 31
musicalmom
New Contributor

That's what I was thinking! LOL 

Message 14 of 31
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@musicalmom wrote:

Some people who previously had the Wayfair card with Comenity received Comenity Mastercards.   The Citi Wayfair card is for new applicants as of 9/11/20.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 15 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@musicalmom wrote:

Some people who previously had the Wayfair card with Comenity received Comenity Mastercards.   The Citi Wayfair card is for new applicants as of 9/11/20.

It certainly does seem odd that Citi didn't want the existing customer portfolio. Makes me wonder if there are going to be Citi cards showing up too. 

Message 16 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Interesting - Wayfair sent me a Comenity Visa credit card

You are lucky!

I spoke to both Wayfair and Comenity and I'm getting neither a Wayfair citi nor a Comenity MC. I asked what was it based on (my score has been around 790+ for the past year) and they said they didn't know why some got it and others didn't. I made a couple big purchases every 5 months to keep it active, so I don't know where I went wrong on this one. They told me I could apply starting Oct 3rd if I still wanted a Comenity card - Wayfair said they didn't have any other cards for me. :/ 

Message 17 of 31
jwa77
Contributor

It was based on credit criteria.  Most banks that offer co-branded cards that are both closed-loop and open loop have differing lending criteria for each.   I think Citi should have bought the portfolio--end of story.  Not buying it and then forcing people to re-apply was really bad customer service on Wayfair's part. Ive sent 3 different emails/letters to Wayfair about this asking for a reason why or what their rationale was only to have each one not read/not answered or gotten some BS canned answer that doesn't address my question at all.

Since they wont answer my question or even said something to the effect of "unfortunately that inofrmation is propietary..etc," I won't be buying from WF anymore.

Message 18 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jwa77 wrote:

It was based on credit criteria.  Most banks that offer co-branded cards that are both closed-loop and open loop have differing lending criteria for each.   I think Citi should have bought the portfolio--end of story.  Not buying it and then forcing people to re-apply was really bad customer service on Wayfair's part. Ive sent 3 different emails/letters to Wayfair about this asking for a reason why or what their rationale was only to have each one not read/not answered or gotten some BS canned answer that doesn't address my question at all.

Since they wont answer my question or even said something to the effect of "unfortunately that inofrmation is propietary..etc," I won't be buying from WF anymore.

It's not clear that Wayfair had a choice particularly (we still don't know who initiated the Wayfair/Comenity divorce).  And we also don't know if Citi wanted the portfolio but couldn't get  it (or at the right price) or if they really had no interest for some reason (different underwriting standards and would rather require apps?)

Message 19 of 31
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jwa77 wrote:

It's not clear that Wayfair had a choice particularly (we still don't know who initiated the Wayfair/Comenity divorce).  And we also don't know if Citi wanted the portfolio but couldn't get  it (or at the right price) or if they really had no interest for some reason (different underwriting standards and would rather require apps?)

Both Wayfair and Comenity told me that Wayfair cut ties with Comenity.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/11/citigroup-wins-deal-to-offer-credit-cards-for-wayfair-edging-out-riv...

"Citigroup, which wrested the Costco card from American Express in 2016, similarly displaced Columbus, Ohio-based Alliance Data, a major provider of private-label cards that had previously offered a Wayfair card, according to a person with knowledge of the deal."

"Alliance Data Card Services maintains two banks to manage the funding and receivables for its clients' credit programs. In September 2012, the banks rebranded their names from WFNNB (World Financial Network [National] Bank) and WFCB (World Financial Capital Bank) to both operate under the Comenity name, as Comenity Bank and Comenity Capital Bank, respectively.[16]"

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.