Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet/landline/cable rewards

tag
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Internet/landline/cable rewards

Now that US Bank has done its thing, what card(s) offer rewards on internet, landline, cable, etc?  I think the Chase ink is one.  I saw a Barclay card that offers 2 points back for utilities.  I heard they were tough to get a good limit with though.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Internet/landline/cable rewards

I think the TD points and cash rewards card offer 5% on bills for the first 6 months.
Message 2 of 13
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

That is correct, jsu! And of course mine just ended on feb 1st :/ with only 3ish thousand through the card, between restaurants, gas, and groceries as well as a few regular purchases here and there got a little over 9,000 points ($90)
Message 3 of 13
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

Any card will give you straight rewards for paying cable and internet with them. Chase is about the only one that goes higher than standard.

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 4 of 13
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Thanks.  I hadn't heard of that.

Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Message 5 of 13
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

Thanks.  I hadn't heard of that.

Well, as you said, there is also the Barclays Mastercard Rewards, which gives 2% on all utilities.  But so does a 2% on everything card!

Message 6 of 13
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Hilton HHonors Surpass from Amex gives 6 hhonors points for cable/internet/wireless. If you conservatively value hhonors points at 0.5cpp, that's still 3cpp. Of course, only if hhonors points are useful to you.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 7 of 13
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Hilton HHonors Surpass from Amex gives 6 hhonors points for cable/internet/wireless. If you conservatively value hhonors points at 0.5cpp, that's still 3cpp. Of course, only if hhonors points are useful to you.

I see you have a Hilton card listed in your siggy.  How much bang for your buck do you get out of this card?

Message 8 of 13
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I've has about 20 nights in hilton hotels since I got the card in July. At 12 points per dollar spent, plus all the bonuses for things like gold status, etc. I've racked up a bunch of points on stays. I also use it as our gas/grocery/cable/internet card, so the points have really added up. But that's all founded on the fact that I stay at hilton hotels a lot. Hhonors points aren't worth nearly as much as starpoints and to really take advantage of them, you need at least 120,000 of them. So if you stay once a year, you may not ever hit the threshold to really reap the benefits of the points. I know they claim that 7500 points=1 night, but that's at some garden inn outside a military base in rural Oklahoma. Otherwise, individual free night redemptions are terrible (in general). 

If I had a choice, I think the Citi Reserve is probably better, especially if you don't stay enough to get status on stays. The surpass gives you gold for a year (actually a little more, depending on what month you apply), a pretty much worthless lounge benefit and typical Amex customer service/benefits (which I value above that of Citi). But Citi gives you gold as long as you have the card, fewer points per dollar on stays (10 vs 12) and not as many bonus points for other spend. Amex gives you access to AXON awards, but in most scenarios GLON awards (which you get with both) are the better value anyway.

In short, it works for me and those who stay at hiltons frequently. But if that's you, I'd also look at the citi reserve. If you don't stay at hiltons, the csp or bcp or even spg are better deals.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 9 of 13
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Cdnewmanpac said:

If I had a choice, I think the Citi Reserve is probably better, especially if you don't stay enough to get status on stays. The surpass gives you gold for a year (actually a little more, depending on what month you apply), a pretty much worthless lounge benefit and typical Amex customer service/benefits (which I value above that of Citi). But Citi gives you gold as long as you have the card, fewer points per dollar on stays (10 vs 12) and not as many bonus points for other spend. Amex gives you access to AXON awards, but in most scenarios GLON awards (which you get with both) are the better value anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got my new Citi Hilton Reserve in the mail today. PC'd from my useless Diamond Preferred. I got it precisely for the free weekend night as an anniversary bonus after $10,000 in yearly spending....and the 3 points per dollar for base spending and gold status perks aren't bad in the process. I plan to only use the card for roughly the 10K. The way I see it, it gets me at least 7-8 points per dollar on that spending because that freebie night will be always be for an expensive room in the 40,000-50,000 HH point range. So, I get at least 30,000 HH points for $10,000 spent (assuming none of it is 5 or 10 points per dollar categories) plus the value of the free room, which I do at least once per year anyway. Great deal. Even when you account for the $95 AF, the free night more than compensates. Waldorf anyone?? hehehe

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.