Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irritated with Discover

tag
Mellon
Established Contributor

Re: Irritated with Discover

Interesting. I had the card (More..later PC'd to IT) since 2011 with a 1k limit. Everytime I would request it online it would say not "eligible". Last week I called the credit analyst  and they asked to pull the report (knew it would be a hard pull). Credit analyst asked about 2 old CO accounts. I explained to him that they were paid and I have been current on all of my accounts since then.. he asked how much I wanted.. I said 3.5k.. he put me on hold and came back and said approved. He mentioned nothing about inquiries (this pulled made 9 on TU) my score was at least 685.

Message 11 of 28
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

So far I've had good luck with them.

Started in May 2012 with a $3000 CL - auto CLI after 3 months to $3500.  At 6 mos I was declined for a CLI when I hit the LUV button, but about 1 week later they auto CLId me to $3750.  Last month (9 months in), they auto CLId me to $4500.  I am now planning to run about $1500/month in expenses through this card, in hopes that I will hit $5000+ by the one year mark in May.

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 12 of 28
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I was thinking about waiting a few weeks and just talk to someone else. This girl was obviously in a foul mood and not even looking over my history. I don't like it when you get crabby csr's
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 13 of 28
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Sorry this happened to you. I agree to wait and catch another CSR. I m sure you'll be approved for CLI
Message 14 of 28
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Snow;

Don't be surprised, if you don't contact them, if in a few weeks or a month they  call you and offer to speak to you about a CLI. 

Sort of like what Navigate mentioned, it happened to me.  I called, asked for a CLI around my 7th month and wasn't granted.  About a month (IIRC) later they called me to talk about the CLI I requested and asked me what I wanted.  I said 10k, rep said asked if I'd be wiling to activate auto pay (for minimum, I called late one day to make a payment after thinking I had paid it).  I told them I'd be ok with that.  They raised me 2k to 8500.  Not the 10k I requested but better than the denial I had a month earlier. And no HP.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 15 of 28
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

I agree I think its also how much history I had a card 8 years ago with them for 5 years 5k limit. I think they also consider other factors housing payment etc other cls etc not just score.
Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 28
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

Snow;

Don't be surprised, if you don't contact them, if in a few weeks or a month they  call you and offer to speak to you about a CLI. 

Sort of like what Navigate mentioned, it happened to me.  I called, asked for a CLI around my 7th month and wasn't granted.  About a month (IIRC) later they called me to talk about the CLI I requested and asked me what I wanted.  I said 10k, rep said asked if I'd be wiling to activate auto pay (for minimum, I called late one day to make a payment after thinking I had paid it).  I told them I'd be ok with that.  They raised me 2k to 8500.  Not the 10k I requested but better than the denial I had a month earlier. And no HP.

I will be on the lookout for them to call, hopefully. The rep did say as she was hanging up that sometimes you get an auto increase. My 6th statment cuts on the 25th of this month so maybe some sort of increase will kick in then. I hope they will do something because I really like them but they are getting left behind by bigger better cards/limits. I told her that I was about to make a large purchase and would really like to use them to take advantage of the 0% interest. That didn't matter either so the next time they check my credit and see a bigger balance on my FNBO, when they ask why the balance with them, I will tell them about yesterday's phone call and that the purchase would have been made through them but they turned me down. *lol* They won't really care but it will make me feel better! Cat Tongue

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 17 of 28
VirusCredit13
Regular Contributor

It really isn't a reason to be irritated with them. They have no reason to give you a CLI. Just because other companies throw them around like nothing, or other people get CLI with card doesn't mean they are obligated to give you one. If you want them to give you CLI your going to have to pay for it. Leave a small balance there always. 

If you aren't spending close to your current limit, or you aren't paying any interest on your statements  every month, financially you don't even need the CLI, it only is for you to improve your credit score. They as a company have no real reason to give it to you other than to "make you happy". While some CSR or anaylst might do that, others won't. If you have 15 cards, and you have zero balance on their card, they don't see any need for you to have more credit line. 

Telling them that you opened new accounts recently and the inquires are because your trying to build credit, does explain/justify why you did so, but it also is going to make them infer the only reason you want the CLI is the same reason. 

Message 18 of 28
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

So Discover likes balance carrying? Good thing Ive been using the heck out of it lately! Lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 19 of 28
VirusCredit13
Regular Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
So Discover likes balance carrying? Good thing Ive been using the heck out of it lately! Lol

Non-charge card issuers in general like that, so long as you aren't carrying close to your limit. They aren't making any money on cards that are kept at zero balance and they are paying 5% cashback on purchases. If during your 0% intro APR you are carrying a balance they will assume(hope) you will follow those habits when real APR kicks in. If your keeping at 0 balance, they will assume you will follow that. 

If you don't have a AF and it isn't a charge card, they want you to carry a balance.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.