Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 5K a toy limit?

tag
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Is 5K a toy limit?

For Donald Trump YES, for me NO.  I was thrilled to get 5k w/nfcu and estatic to get it bumped to 7k!

Message 21 of 62
chewchowlady
Valued Member

@phillyguy12 wrote:

3001+ i wanna make babbies with you

Good Morning Philly, and thanks for making me laugh. hahahahahaha. 

Seedling:

Discover It 5.5K / OCCU Duck 5K / Sportman's Guide Visa 5K / Walmart Discover 4.2K / Citi AA Amex 3.5K / Chase Freedom 2K / Cap1 Quick Silver 2K / BOA Cash 2K / Amex BCE 1K - Too many store cards to list!

Garden since 11/14/2013 - No need to apply for any new credit until closing on my home! (Summer 2015)
Message 22 of 62
eddie84
Valued Contributor

My Amex Optima with $500 CL, now that's a toy limit for me but at the time, I was just happy to be in with Amex again after so many years without one. lol

Message 23 of 62
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

5K is a great limit.  If you manage it well, It open up doors to higher limits soon.

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 24 of 62
enharu
Super Contributor

@young, I don't think the naming of the new visa tier is confirmed yet. There have been several names tossed around the internet but it does seem to be more of a project code name, rather than the product's actual name. There are also different CLs and spending requirements being tossed around, which may have to do with the issuers setting different requirements.

So almost everything is still pretty much unclear. The cards probably will most likely come with a hefty AF anyhow, depending on the issuer. Some private banks are able to waive the AF for their clients though.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 25 of 62
Startome
Regular Contributor

CHeck out my siggy. That should say whether 5K is a toy limit =D

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 26 of 62
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

A toy limit is a limit that you can't really make use of to pay for normal expenses, because you will reach the limit just by filling your car with gas or paying for food... you can't really do anything useful with it. I don't live frugally, but I could probably make it an entire month just with $5000 and no income or other money available, without any living compromises. In my view, $5k credit is a generous amount of credit and can be used for most things throught the billing period without multiple payments. It is not a toy.
EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 27 of 62
CreditCardDiva
Regular Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

In general speaking. Smiley Indifferent

I really hate that term.   At this point in my credit journey, I was pleased to get my cards with $250 limits.  Back before my BK, I had 5 TLs with over $7000 limits and the highest was $11K.  Looking back, AMEX was the only one who didn't indugle my desire for big limits and they were clearly correct.

Yes, there are plenty of people in a financial and credit position where $5K is just a paltry limit.  There are others clawing their way to good credit with a $200 Fingerhut TL.  I think it's more encouraging to simply say a card at a given limit doesn't meet one's current credit needs instead of dismissing it as a "toy limit."  

I completely agree. IMO, 5k is not a "toy limit". Now, I know a lot of folks make/spend a lot of money, but sometimes this whole "toy limit" thing starts to seem a bit pretentious.  If someone can afford to pay off  thousands of dollars in charges, in full, each and every month...and then some, and meet all their other financial obligations with ease, then I guess 5K is not up to standard, but so what? Also, it depends on what kind of expenses you'll be running through the card.

Why does this question keep coming up? Why does it matter what others consider to be a "toy limit", considering that we all come from and are at different places in our financial journeys? The answers will vary, so there really is no "right" answer. To be honest, I hope I never get to the place where I can dismiss 5K as a "toy", but I'm fine with those who can and do. Each person needs to look at their own individual financial situation - their income, expenses, savings, goals, etc. and determine what limit best suits their situation.

Credit Rebuild Start Date (3/12)
Oakland County CU Visa ($500) | Capital One Quick Silver One ($600) | Capital One Secured MC ($200) | Walmart ($1600) | PayPal Credit ($1000) | Jared ($3500) | Victoria's Secret ($850) | Gettington ($3500) | Amazon Store Card ($850) | NewEgg Preferred ($2400) | Discover IT ($1500) | Dillard's AMEX ($1500) Target ($1500) | Overstock Store Card ($1200) | Kohl's ($1500) | Old Navy ($650) | Macy's Store Card ($800) | The Limited ($350)
Message 28 of 62
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

On a recent similar thread, someone made the great point that it also depends on the card, giving the example of a Starbucks card (where $500 is more than enough for most people) vs an international airline card, where $500 isn't enough to buy a ticket.

Message 29 of 62
Startome
Regular Contributor

I take home 14K a year, so a 5K card could easily cover 4 months of living. lol

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 30 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.