Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 5K a toy limit?

tag
watch44
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is 5K a toy limit?

@BMW_M-Series wrote:

it obviously varies from person to person. its subjective. if you have a 'cheap car', what defines cheap? under 10k? under 50k? its relative to a persons income. some people can afford more expensive 'toys' then other people. if you dont like that then lets not use the phrase 'toy limit'

It's not about cheap or expensive. And I don't agree that the "toy" in toy limit refers to what kinds of toys an adult can afford. It's a reference to children, in that only a child could use this card since children do not have jobs or money of their own. When people complain about toy limits, they're not talking about the inability to buy a new set of golf clubs, they're complaining about the inability to put gas in the car and buy groceries with it--stuff that kids don't need to do because they have no jobs or responsibilities. So to say a 5K card has a toy limit is like saying 5K credit lines are only suitable for children, or in turn, only suitable for adults with no jobs or responsibilities. That's obviously not an accurate or realistic statement for anybody to make with a straight face. 

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 41 of 62
bndresa1321
Valued Member

A lot of people have mentioned it but I would agree that it does not qualify to be a toy limit for most.  Yes a small percentage of people would consider 5K to be small in comparison but I would frankly say that $250-$750 would be considered a toy limit, especially if it is a first card with no prior credit history. 

Credit Cards:
Capital One Platinum MC (11/2009) - $2K | Discover IT(07/2011) - $1.25K | GECRB Visa (07/2012) - $2.17K | Citi Dividend Visa (12/2012) - $4K | Chase Freedom Visa (12/2012) - $5K | AMEX BCP (11/2014) - $5K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa (12/2014) - $9K

Message 42 of 62
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

I tend to think of it less from the cardholder's perspective, and more from the lenders. To me, a toy limit is a smallish limit that a lender will use to test the waters with a borrower. It's a limit that poses a trivial risk exposure for the lender. We tend to see these kind of limits in rebuilder cards -- $250, $500, $750. The lender lets the cardholder "play" with it, sees how s/he does with it, and perhaps eventually raises it (or not, as is the policy with some rebuilder cards). But it allows the cardholder to establish a history with the account before moving on to bigger and better limits. This, to me, is what I think of as a toy limit.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 43 of 62
BMW_M-Series
New Contributor

so basically it all depends on how u want to define 'toy limit' 

Chase Sapphire Preferred - American Express Platinum - American Express PRG -American Express SPG -American Express BCP - BofA Cash Rewards Visa Siggy - Citi TYP - Discover IT - PenFed Gold

In Garden
Message 44 of 62
watch44
Frequent Contributor

BMW_M-Series wrote:

I think that was the whole point of OP asking. Cat Tongue

Message 45 of 62
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@watch44 wrote:

@BMW_M-Series wrote:

And I think the answer is "A limit you are not satisfied with", so the question really becomes "Are you satisified with a $5K limit?"

Message 46 of 62
watch44
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@watch44 wrote:

@BMW_M-Series wrote:

And I think the answer is "A limit you are not satisfied with", so the question really becomes "Are you satisified with a $5K limit?"

And I'd agree that the answer to the real question is very much relative to one's income. 

Message 47 of 62
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry, but what a stupid idea that 5k is a toy limit. That's like saying 60k is a toy salary.

Seriously, this whole toy limit thing is such a stupid, idiotic concept.
Message 48 of 62
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@KennyS2006 wrote:
I'm sorry, but what a stupid idea that 5k is a toy limit. That's like saying 60k is a toy salary.

I agree that it is very like that.  And for the same reasons, for some people, $60K IS a toy salary, they wouldn't consider taking a job that paid that because their life style/needs/ego needs a lot more.

Message 49 of 62
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@KennyS2006 wrote:

I agree that it is very like that.  And for the same reasons, for some people, $60K IS a toy salary, they wouldn't consider taking a job that paid that because their life style/needs/ego needs a lot more.

Of course, but if you have a HNW individual you don't even really NEED credit so who cares about a toy limit? I just think most people that say that what they have is a toy limit really mean they aren't happy with it and just want the pride of having a large TL, as if it matters, in the end really.  

We only need a functional limit.. and most companies adjust that based on your actual spending/paying habits. So I just think the whole idea of a toy limit is just comical.

Message 50 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.