Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is AMEX Green still thing?

tag
hapagrrl
Regular Contributor

Is AMEX Green still thing?

Got an offer for an AMEX green in the mail - I had no idea they still existed. Is AMEX green still a thing?

Starting Score, 2011: TU 635, EQ 637, EX/FAKO 538
2014 (mortgage broker pull): TU 670, EQ 669, EX 674
2017 FICO 8: TU 730, EQ 732, EX 738 - Finally made the 700 club!
2021 FICO 8: TU 693 EQ 705 EX 690
I only have four cards, so not worth showing. $15,600 total CL.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Is AMEX Green still thing?

@hapagrrl wrote:

Got an offer for an AMEX green in the mail - I had no idea they still existed. Is AMEX green still a thing?

Yes, although most card geeks consider it a poor value.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 7
hapagrrl
Regular Contributor

Yeah, that's what I thought. I was flattered at first, then opened it and saw the "green" and thought,  "Oh."  Smiley Sad

Starting Score, 2011: TU 635, EQ 637, EX/FAKO 538
2014 (mortgage broker pull): TU 670, EQ 669, EX 674
2017 FICO 8: TU 730, EQ 732, EX 738 - Finally made the 700 club!
2021 FICO 8: TU 693 EQ 705 EX 690
I only have four cards, so not worth showing. $15,600 total CL.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@hapagrrl wrote:

Yes, although most card geeks consider it a poor value.

Anyone with half a brain would consider it a poor value, whether they're a card geek or not. 

Nothing like 1x on everything else and 2x through AMEX's travel portal for $95 a year. 

I would like to see some improvements with this card. Perhaps a $50/year travel credit and 3x on groceries and gas. 

Message 4 of 7
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Yes it's still a thing. I have one.

Long term it is a poor value.  $95 per year gets you points earning that is easily beaten by the EveryDay for no fee.

I got it for an easy 25K point churn.  I'll only keep it past the first year if they make me a really good retention offer.

It does have potential value as an upgrade, which can be used to get a bonus on PRG or Plat more than once.  I've seen some people use it that way.

I suspect Amex keeps the product alive solely because it is still the most recognized card brand in the world, and people still sign up for it for that reason.  It still has an air of prestige to it, even though there's nothing really special about it anymore.

Message 5 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yes its a thing, wherher its a poor value or not is up to the individual. I have it and at least for its first year ,im happy as it was my welcome back to Amex family card after 10 years. I know of a few who actually enjoy it so it all comes down to what you look for in a card. Hulk out babySmiley Wink
Message 6 of 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@hapagrrl wrote:

My opinion is its only good if get a good signup bonus, as its been stated ED blows it out of the water with no af. The only other reason i could think about getting one is if you really need a charge card for some reason as opposed to credit card.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.