cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is American Express still using Experian?

tag
Viper786
Regular Contributor

Re: Is American Express still using Experian?

Thanks for all the replies!

I have had an Amex Zync since 4/2011 with perfect payment history. Since my last soft pull from Amex was back in November, I am pretty sure my Utilization was relatively high (~40%). My util right now is close to 1%. According to Credit Karma, my TU FAKO is 654 (no idea why so low) and my FICO Scorewatch alert from today says my score is a 715. Credit Sesame (which i believe is EX) showed my FAKO as being 690 but this was earlier in the month before I paid off the $2400 balance on my Barclay so it had a utilization of around 25% across my cards.

I really want to get this card in January but it seems if I apply now, they will use my report details from my soft pull from November and my guess is my score with my util that high was probably around 680ish or so.

Let's say I apply today and they do not approve me. Do I have to wait 60 days before I can re-apply? 

EQ - 701 FICO - ScoreWatch (8/2016) | TU - 754 FICO - Fico 8 (8/2016) | EX - 710 Fico - Fico 8 (8/2016)
Amazon Store Card - $10,000 | Amex BCE - $2k | Barclaycard Ring - $2.5k | Capital One Platinum - $7,500 | Capital One Venture - $10,000 | Capital One VentureOne - $7500 | Chase Freedom - $3.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred - $1500 | Discover It - $4200 | Ebates Visa - $25,000 | Macy's - $1700 | Lowes - $12,000 | Walmart MasterCard - $15,000
Message 11 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Viper786 wrote:

Thanks for all the replies!

I have had an Amex Zync since 4/2011 with perfect payment history. Since my last soft pull from Amex was back in November, I am pretty sure my Utilization was relatively high (~40%). My util right now is close to 1%. According to Credit Karma, my TU FAKO is 654 (no idea why so low) and my FICO Scorewatch alert from today says my score is a 715. Credit Sesame (which i believe is EX) showed my FAKO as being 690 but this was earlier in the month before I paid off the $2400 balance on my Barclay so it had a utilization of around 25% across my cards.

I really want to get this card in January but it seems if I apply now, they will use my report details from my soft pull from November and my guess is my score with my util that high was probably around 680ish or so.

Let's say I apply today and they do not approve me. Do I have to wait 60 days before I can re-apply? 

31 days after a denied application; seriously though with Amex's policies of almost always getting a SP for a denial you I'd just take the shot.  I did even not expecting to be approved and look what it got me Cat Tongue

As long as you don't have a hard limit Zync I don't see where you have anything holding you back, and unlike mine you're actually qualified from the commonly held underwriting perspective.  Your report is prettier, your Amex membership is longer established, and your FICO score is significantly higher than mine.

Edit: for established accounts (6+ months I think) Amex traditionally SP's once every two months; wait for a week or two till 1/25ish and make the application would be my recommendation.

        
Message 12 of 19
Viper786
Regular Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

31 days after a denied application; seriously though with Amex's policies of almost always getting a SP for a denial you I'd just take the shot.  I did even not expecting to be approved and look what it got me Cat Tongue

As long as you don't have a hard limit Zync I don't see where you have anything holding you back, and unlike mine you're actually qualified from the commonly held underwriting perspective.  Your report is prettier, your Amex membership is longer established, and your FICO score is significantly higher than mine.

Edit: for established accounts (6+ months I think) Amex traditionally SP's once every two months; wait for a week or two till 1/25ish and make the application would be my recommendation.

Thank you for the recommendations. I find it odd that I have never received a targetted offer from American Express considering I've been with them for almost 2 years now. 

You mention that Amex traditionally SP's once every 2 months  but on my EX report, I had 2 in November and then one in August so based on that, I find it unlikely that they'll do a soft pull this month. But I may also be biased because the urge to apply for this card is getting harder and harder to resist! I might just end up pulling the trigger tonight or tomorrow.

Worst case scenario: I don't get approved, they'll have a newer report with the soft pull from my application and I appy again in February and get it backdated to 2/11  instead of 1/11!

EQ - 701 FICO - ScoreWatch (8/2016) | TU - 754 FICO - Fico 8 (8/2016) | EX - 710 Fico - Fico 8 (8/2016)
Amazon Store Card - $10,000 | Amex BCE - $2k | Barclaycard Ring - $2.5k | Capital One Platinum - $7,500 | Capital One Venture - $10,000 | Capital One VentureOne - $7500 | Chase Freedom - $3.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred - $1500 | Discover It - $4200 | Ebates Visa - $25,000 | Macy's - $1700 | Lowes - $12,000 | Walmart MasterCard - $15,000
Message 13 of 19
Viper786
Regular Contributor

Well, I could no longer resist and applied. After I applied I got the under review message and that they will let me know by mail and I got disappointed.

I did a status check on their website and it says approved! I'm pretty excited! Is there a way I can find out how much I am approved for?

Message 14 of 19
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

@Viper786 wrote:

Well, I could no longer resist and applied. After I applied I got the under review message and that they will let me know by mail and I got disappointed.

I did a status check on their website and it says approved! I'm pretty excited! Is there a way I can find out how much I am approved for?

Call them?

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 15 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Viper786 wrote:

This is par for the course for a lot of people these days.  Congrats!

        
Message 16 of 19
Viper786
Regular Contributor

Thank you! 

I just called to find out my limit and it's $2000. I was hoping to get a little more than that, but oh well, there's always the 61 day 3x CLI to look forward to Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 19
Madman94044
Regular Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@OhioCPA wrote:

@CopperHD wrote:

I thought that Amex only uses a Soft if declined for  current members and a Hard pull if approved.  It says that they pulled my score on the 10th when i was approved.

Once you are approved they will do the HP. A little bit backward but it saves current members from getting a HP for a declined card. I suppose the approval is somewhat conditional on the HP, but I have never heard of anyone being declined after a HP.

It does happen for marginal applications in some cases, much like the multiple pulls.  This is pretty darned rare though, <1% even.

FWIW I still think I have one of the most absurd BCP approvals ever until I see my letter from Amex stating I have a much higher EX FICO or similar than I can rationally expect, and EX was the only report pulled, so the double pull is pretty uncommon, and the HP denial is even less common than that.

I guess I'm just lucky.  This happened to me on a BCE app in November.  i have a gold card. Amx HP'd all 3 CR and denied me.  Sucked!
viper, congrats on the new card.

Staring Score:EQ 649 TU 647 EX 644
Current Score: EQ 786 TU 699 EX 746
Goal Score: 800
Wallet: SF Fire CU $5000 CL Chase Freedom 4000 CL, Chase MP $5000, WellsFargo $6000 CL, Amex Gold NPSL, Cap1 CashRewards $2500 CL, Amex BCP $12000 Discover More $1200 CSP 18000
Message 18 of 19
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@Viper786 wrote:

Thank you! 

I just called to find out my limit and it's $2000. I was hoping to get a little more than that, but oh well, there's always the 61 day 3x CLI to look forward to Smiley Happy

Congrats! 6K after 61 days will be awesome! 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.