cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Amex Everyday worth getting just for the Amex offers and 15k MR points?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Amex Everyday worth getting just for the Amex offers and 15k MR points?

I want to develop a relationship with Amex for their Amex offers and MR point deals, but their card earning rates aren't great. Is it worth applying just for their offers? After hitting the SUB, I would probably use it once a month to keep it active.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Is Amex Everyday worth getting just for the Amex offers and 15k MR points?

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to develop a relationship with Amex for their Amex offers and MR point deals, but their card earning rates aren't great. Is it worth applying just for their offers? After hitting the SUB, I would probably use it once a month to keep it active.

If you don't think AMEX's card offerings are great for MR earnings based on your spending profile then I would question getting in with AMEX in the first place. I just don't see the logic of getting in with a bank if that's the criteria you set for yourself.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

There’s a better offer of 25k MR points if you use a private browser. By conservatively evaluating MR points at one cent per point, $250 for a no AF card is enough for me to say it’s worth getting. Amex offers are good, I’ve saved some money in the last 4 months since I applied for the PRG, but they’re nothing out of this world. The one exception was a 20k MR offer for 1k spend on Air France which was excellent, but apart from that they tend to be rather odd lol.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m an oddity here....but I personally don’t think any card is worth getting if your not going to use it. But do what’s best for you! 

Message 4 of 17
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I’m an oddity here....but I personally don’t think any card is worth getting if your not going to use it. But do what’s best for you! 

I can sort of see it if you're looking to churn the card but for the OP's situation that is not the case.

Message 5 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

The value I get from Amex offers fell a lot about 2 or 3 years ago. 

Some offers are from overpriced merchants (and with Amex there's no price protection).

Or it's something I might buy, but the timing wouldn't work for me (like some hotel offers).

Or it's stuff I wouldn't buy, anyway.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

+1

I regularly scroll offers on my 5 ANEX cards. Some look interesting, and I am sure someone is using them. I used a 10% Starbucks Credit recently, up to $50 spend. 

A number of the popular retailer offers are actually with the .com version, not in store. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 17
arkane
Established Contributor

If you can get a decent SUB on a no-AF card, it could be worth your while if your goal is to cultivate a relationship with Amex.

I actually also plan on getting an Amex card or two just to develop the relationship since I may need to take advantage of their global transfer program at some point in the future.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 8 of 17
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

For me, the most valuable aspect of the Amex Everyday is that it offers balance transfers with no balance transfer fee as long as you make the BT within the first 60 days of having the card. If the SL is decent, you can save yourself a lot of money on interest while taking your time to pay. I'm holding off on the Amex Everyday, the Chase Slate and the BankAmericard until I make a large purchase of something that does not depreciate over time.
Message 9 of 17
redpat
Senior Contributor

@arkane wrote:

If you can get a decent SUB on a no-AF card, it could be worth your while if your goal is to cultivate a relationship with Amex.

I actually also plan on getting an Amex card or two just to develop the relationship since I may need to take advantage of their global transfer program at some point in the future.

Never get a card thinking you are developing a relationship w/ a CCC because there isn’t really a relationship to begin with.  Everything about a credit card is transactional, so get a card with a rewards program you want and dump them if they don’t work for you anymore.

In fact I probably pick-up 50k - 70k annually from Amex Offers, but I like the MR program along with Chase UR and AA miles programs.  I get great use out of them.  

One thing you have to remember though, is offers are targeted and you may not get as many MR offers that you think you will w/ just one Amex MR card.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.