Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Amex Manager the same as AU?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Amex Manager the same as AU?

I have an amex green and was thinking of making my son an manager. He is 18 and I want to help him start building his credit. Does amex report to his CR if he is a manager? Thanks.
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Amex Manager the same as AU?

I tried the manager status for my spouse on one of my amex cards to save the fee for an AU card. It never reported on her report that way so I cancelled it and added her as an au instead. So the answer is no.
Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

1dawg wrote:
I have an amex green and was thinking of making my son an manager. He is 18 and I want to help him start building his credit. Does amex report to his CR if he is a manager? Thanks.

I assume you're asking about "authorized user" status?

(eta: lol, sorry, just noticed your thread title.)

Yes, American Express does reported AU's (authorized users) to all three bureaus. They have been known to consider AU history in applications. They have also been known to go after AU's for delinquent accounts.

I had my DH and DD#2 on my Gold as AU's. When I took them off, the fool thing keeps reporting, dropping their AAoA. Smiley Mad But in terms of scoring, assuming that your card is older than your son's credit history, and is squeaky clean, and reports $0 every month (not just that you pay your bill, but that there is $0 on the statement), it should help him.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 05-01-2009 05:29 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried the manager status for my spouse on one of my amex cards to save the fee for an AU card. It never reported on her report that way so I cancelled it and added her as an au instead. So the answer is no.
Message 3 of 6
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

Giving someone "manager" status is something you do after you have made them AU. It gives them the same access as the owner if wanted. It is especially useful in cases where health issues are present and of course various "SO" and other relationships.

It should only be done with great trust or you might end up on Judge Judy.

CI

@Anonymous wrote:

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the great replies. I just went ahead and added him as an AU on my cap 1 card. I didnt want awake a sleeping giant with amex. Even though i have a 0 balance on my green card i dont want take any chances. Thanks again.
Message 5 of 6
MattH
Senior Contributor

It should only be done with great trust or you might end up on Judge Judy.

Now there is a great way to clarify decision making: before making any financial decision, ask yourself "how would this sound if I were describing it on Judge Judy?"  Sorta like the advice we've been given at work about what to say in an email message, "ask yourself how would I feel about seeing this in my hometown newspaper?"

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.