cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Amex Optima a Charge Card or Credit Card ?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Is Amex Optima a Charge Card or Credit Card ?

For FICO and scoring purposes Is Amex Optima considered as a Charge Card or Credit Card ?

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Amex Optima a Charge Card or Credit Card ?

Optima is a revolving, credit card and is not a charge card.

Optima was introduced in 1987 as American Express's first credit card. American Express stopped offering Optima around 2008-2009 for new, credit worthy applicants only to be revived years later as a reward for consumers that repaid charged-off debt. 

Message 2 of 38
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Isn't the CL fixed as 1/3 (or some other fraction) of the repaid amount?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 38
Rudy1
Established Contributor

As @Anonymous stated it is a revolving credit card the only charge card AMEX issues are the Green, Gold, Platinum, and Centurion. When I met my husband he had the Optima Platinum from when they offered it as a actual card not for debt repayment he still has it. For him it is a good card to keep around low rate and nice CL.

>
Goal Cards:
Message 4 of 38
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

From FICO standpoint of view, is there a scoring difference between a Charge Card and Credit Card ?

Message 5 of 38
Remedios
Credit Mentor

There is difference 

Charge card balances are not "counted" towards utilization on newer scoring models, but they do count towards number of *cards with balances*. 

On older scoring models, highest balance on charge card is considered to be a limit. 

Message 6 of 38
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Optima is a revolving, credit card and is not a charge card.

Optima was introduced in 1987 as American Express's first credit card. American Express stopped offering Optima around 2008-2009 for new, credit worthy applicants only to be revived years later as a reward for consumers that repaid charged-off debt. 

That's interesting. In 2003 I was at a VZW store. I purchased a mobile phone and signed a two year contract. I gave the manager American Express Blue. The transaction was declined with instructions for the store to call Optima. The place was busy so I just used a diferent card. 

At home I phoned Amex to learn why the sale was declined. The rep said it was flagged as a fradulent transaction. Reason provided was that I purchased a mobile phone six weeks prior. 

Was Optima in any way ever related to the company's fraud department? 

Thanks

Message 7 of 38
dacv01
Regular Contributor

The Optima is a revolving credit card, and appears on CR as such. Have you been sent an offer to apply? 

> 5 Inquiries, AAoC 4 years, AoOA 7 years, 11 months as of September 2021
Message 8 of 38
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

There is difference 

Charge card balances are not "counted" towards utilization on newer scoring models, but they do count towards number of *cards with balances*. 

On older scoring models, highest balance on charge card is considered to be a limit. 

Thanks

Message 9 of 38
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@dacv01 wrote:

The Optima is a revolving credit card, and appears on CR as such. Have you been sent an offer to apply? 

Yes. I have mailed the application on 6/26/2020 by USPS mail. Waiting to hear back from them or receive the card.

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.