cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Amex Optima a Charge Card or Credit Card ?

tag
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Can PC Amex Optima after 12 months

I'm almost 100% positive Optima isn't eligible to PC.

Message 21 of 38
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Message 22 of 38
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

I know Amex does not like any thing done for 12 months when we get Amex Optima Card. Does any one know after 12 months, if we can do Product Change from Amex Optima  to a different Amex Product. Also if we can get a CLI on the Amex Optima Card after 12 months ?

Yes on the CLI after 12 months.

No change since your other thread asking the same question three months ago. Smiley Tongue

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 23 of 38
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I have no idea any more. Going to wait and see what happens. My new Optima card is 5 months old and 7 more months to go. Last time I had Optima was in 2008 or 2009. That card was with 5K CL and Amex converted it into Platinum Charge Card. I have to see if they would make a change for my present Optima card after 12 months. Since it has AF I would not mind chaning to a card that has AF. If they are willing to Waive AF and PC to another product then I dont mind having a card with no AF. Either way I am not going to loose my sleep at this time and take it as it comes.

Message 24 of 38
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Red1Blue wrote:

I have no idea any more. Going to wait and see what happens. My new Optima card is 5 months old and 7 more months to go. Last time I had Optima was in 2008 or 2009. That card was with 5K CL and Amex converted it into Platinum Charge Card. I have to see if they would make a change for my present Optima card after 12 months. Since it has AF I would not mind chaning to a card that has AF. If they are willing to Waive AF and PC to another product then I dont mind having a card with no AF. Either way I am not going to loose my sleep at this time and take it as it comes.

@Red1Blue - The previous AmEx Optima CC versions, which were available in the mid to late 90s until applications for that product were no longer available, is a very different product altogether from the 'penalty' Optima version most recent cardholders obtain through the '2nd chance' or Oasis program.  It may share the same name of its predecessor product line, but it doesn't offer the same options such as the PC capability or AF waiver.  So after 12 months, it will not convert nor offer such option.

Message 25 of 38
wasCB14
Super Contributor

What is the AF on the "purgatory" Optima?

Message 26 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue wrote:

I know Amex does not like any thing done for 12 months when we get Amex Optima Card. Does any one know after 12 months, if we can do Product Change from Amex Optima  to a different Amex Product. Also if we can get a CLI on the Amex Optima Card after 12 months ?

Optima isn't purgatory anymore. You can now apply (and actually be approved for) ADDITIONAL AmEx products while still holding an active Optima. I just did it this year! Held an Optima since 9/18 and some time around 3/20 applied and was approved for 3 (!!!) Amex (Platinum, ABP, Marriot Bonvoy Brilliant). So now I have a total of 4, including the Optima, active! 

You NO LONGER must cancel the Optima for the mere CHANCE of being approved. 

Now, I didn't know about the CLI! I thought we were all stuck with the initial deal! 

Message 27 of 38
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Red1Blue wrote:

Optima isn't purgatory anymore. You can now apply (and actually be approved for) ADDITIONAL AmEx products while still holding an active Optima. I just did it this year! Held an Optima since 9/18 and some time around 3/20 applied and was approved for 3 (!!!) Amex (Platinum, ABP, Marriot Bonvoy Brilliant). So now I have a total of 4, including the Optima, active! 

You NO LONGER must cancel the Optima for the mere CHANCE of being approved. 

Now, I didn't know about the CLI! I thought we were all stuck with the initial deal! 

I've heard others here say a few months ago that a CLI is possible after 12 months. Not sure if that's based on a recent experience of someone or if we're just in an echo chamber.

Message 28 of 38
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

What is the AF on the "purgatory" Optima?

IIRC, $49.  But, someone can correct me if that $ has changed.

Message 29 of 38
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Thanks to all of you for your input. I was checking my old messages on the forum. I had Optima Recover product in 2007. They gave me Optima Recovery Card with $5k CL when I paid off $11k CO. After 12 months I was able to get Amex Platinum Charge. Also from what I remember they PCd my Optima to Amex Clear which has no AF. Things in 2007 is lot different from now with Amex, so not sure what will happen after having the card for 12 months. My new Optima Recovery card is 5 months old. I'll wait 7 more months and see what it happens when it turns 12 months old and if Amex would give CLI or allow Product Change. 

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.