cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Amex Optima a Charge Card or Credit Card ?

sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: Can PC Amex Optima after 12 months

As of now, Optima is not eligible for product changes. Im even sure if you can get a CLI anymore. You are eligible to apply for other Amex products after having the Optima card for a year without having to close the Optima account. 

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Platinum, Business Cash
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture VS
Chase: Freedom U VS, CSR VI
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity VS
Credit Union: Rewards Visa
FICO 08: (3.04.21) EX: 838 / EQ: 850 / TU: 848
Message 31 of 38
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Rebuild2022 wrote:

Thanks to all of you for your input. I was checking my old messages on the forum. I had Optima Recover product in 2007. They gave me Optima Recovery Card with $5k CL when I paid off $11k CO. After 12 months I was able to get Amex Platinum Charge. Also from what I remember they PCd my Optima to Amex Clear which has no AF. Things in 2007 is lot different from now with Amex, so not sure what will happen after having the card for 12 months. My new Optima Recovery card is 5 months old. I'll wait 7 more months and see what it happens when it turns 12 months old and if Amex would give CLI or allow Product Change. 

The answer is no. I have the card also and mine is 5 years old. I asked just a few days ago if it was eligible for a PC and they said it is not. Also, it is not eligible to have the AF removed. I am eligible for other AMEX products, however, and opened an SPG, now Bonvoy card with them a year after opening the Optima. 3 months after I opened the Optima I was actually eligible for a cli and they raised my limit, upon request, to 3x's the initial amount. When I asked again about a month or so ago, they said it was not eligible.   I plan to close the card in the coming months and replacing it with an Amex Delta. I just wish it could be done as a Product Change, but as long as I can get rid of the fee I'll be happy. I haven't charged anything on the card for almost 2 years.

Message 32 of 38
mvwCredit
New Visitor

Re: Amex Optima Card - CLI

@dacv01 wrote:

Per experience having it and my application- you cannot CLI during the 12 month probation period. You can keep Optima card open after, but from what I have seen CLI is unlikely or very minimal. The goal is to graduate to a big boy Amex after 12 months 

@dacv01 I'm less than 2 months away from being out of the 12 month probationary period.  Does AMEX send you any kind of notification that you're "out of jail"?

Starting Score: 568
Current Score: 668
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 33 of 38
CommuneNefas
Established Member

@dacv01 I'm less than 2 months away from being out of the 12 month probationary period.  Does AMEX send you any kind of notification that you're "out of jail"?

I'm 12 hours away... I'll let you know when my 12th statement closes tonight! Guess is that they don't send any sort of notification.

On the original topic. I will say that I just went in to check on my card and when I hit the CLI button I get an error message (on a new screen) saying "Unavailable for your account. Your card account is ineligible for a CLI." Maybe that will change tomorrow as well. 

Follow-up: No notification received. Still unavailable for account on CLI. Also don't see any pre-qual offers (not surprised) in case that's of interest. 

Message 34 of 38
sjt
Senior Contributor

You do have to have the card for 12 months before you can apply for another Amex Card. You do not have to close your Optima Account.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Platinum, Business Cash
Message 35 of 38
dacv01
Contributor

@mvwCredit I dont think so- from others on the site they usualyl wait until 13th statement to app for another card- chances are fairly high if scores are good that you will be approved. IMO I would apply for CLI after getting new card- any other Amex cards offers MR points or other value with the AF where as Optima is plain jane 

FICO: 620 Exp, 5 Inquiries, AAoC 4 years, AoOA 6 years, 11 months as of August 2020
Message 36 of 38
sjt
Senior Contributor

@mvwCredit wrote:

@dacv01 wrote:

Per experience having it and my application- you cannot CLI during the 12 month probation period. You can keep Optima card open after, but from what I have seen CLI is unlikely or very minimal. The goal is to graduate to a big boy Amex after 12 months 

No, they do not notify you.

Also, it needs to be 12 months and 1 day. So if the "opened" date is 2.27.20 then you can apply on 2.28.21. 

Another thing is to check out the pre-qualification section to see if you have any offers. Click on "apply" which is where you see if you are pre-approved.

Message 37 of 38
BrooklynDrip
New Contributor

Just move on to another card after 12 months. It has a $49 AF. I had this card for years not realizing I could have applied for something else. The minute I got my Cash Magnet and learned about getting a potential 3x CLI I didn’t see the point to keeping my Optima open anymore.
Jan 19, 2021 New to Gardening - Doing a minimum of six months or until 10/10/21 which is 12 months post my oldest 2 HPs

Scores as of 6.1.21
Experian: 719 Transunion: 690 Equifax: 700
Current Cards:
Macy’s Store:
$13000 - CLI $100>$2K>$4K>$8>$13K w P.C. to Amex
Care Credit: $1800 (Sock drawer)
Discover It: $4500 - CUR 55%
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $500 (sock drawer)
AMEX Cash Magnet: $1000: Less than 55%
Chase Freedom Flex: $500
Amex Biz Cash Magnet: $2000

Wishlist Cards:

AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant || AMEX Platinum || AMEX Blue Cash Preferred || Wells Fargo Propel American Express || U.S.Bank Altitude Go || Chase Sapphire Preferred || Citibank Double Cash

https://m.imgur.com/7eJQLoF?r

https://m.imgur.com/5QX7J6E?r
Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.