cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Amex accepted as widely as Visa and MC domestically?

tag
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Is Amex accepted as widely as Visa and MC domestically?

I recently got approved for a Navy GoRewards and the main reason I didn't go for the More Rewards is because it is an Amex.

But the MoreRewards is more attractive in terms of point structure.  

Is Amex as widely accepted in the US as Visa and MasterCard?  

If so, since I'm still within 30 days of having gotten approved, can I request a product change to the MoreRewards?

Thanks in advance!

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 1 of 54
53 REPLIES 53
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Is Amex accepted as widely as Visa and MC domestically?

According to the article I posted a while back, amex has reached parity with Visa and MasterCard.

Message 2 of 54
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

I've had my more rewards over a year and I've never gone anywhere that doesn't accept  it or my "real" Amex cards. Only place that didn't take it was when I tried to pay my Homeowner dues with it online. 

Message 3 of 54
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Amex is accepted everywhere nowadays just like visa and MC.

The old days it along with discover wasn't accepted very easily back then , showing my age 😳

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 54
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

Amex is accepted everywhere nowadays just like visa and MC.

The old days it along with discover wasn't accepted very easily back then , showing my age 😳

I am showing mine as well!  I still remember when Discover was first launched and how revolutionary it was to give cash back!

Thanks everyone!

06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Message 5 of 54
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@designated_knitter wrote:

I recently got approved for a Navy GoRewards and the main reason I didn't go for the More Rewards is because it is an Amex.

But the MoreRewards is more attractive in terms of point structure.  

Is Amex as widely accepted in the US as Visa and MasterCard?  

If so, since I'm still within 30 days of having gotten approved, can I request a product change to the MoreRewards?

Thanks in advance!

IMHO it's not as widely accepted.

And no I don't believe you could do a product change.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 54
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Just spoke to Navy and here was what I was told.

1. I could have done the product change but would have been ineligible for the new card bonus associated with the new card and would lose the new card promo interest rate on the existing card.
  2. you can apply for a product change within your first year.  However, if the PC would result in an increase in your interest rate, you are not allowed to do that in the first year.  If your interest rate would have dropped or stayed the same, then you are allowed to do a product change anytime in your first year.

I opted not to try to pc the GoRewards because I wanted to retain the new card bonus.  I was ineligible for a PC of my platinum because the new interest rate would have been higher.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Message 7 of 54
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re relative acceptance, while there is some value in knowing US stats, what really matters more are the actual places you shop.   If Amex has 99% acceptance but the 1% includes your major stores the 99% doesn't matter that much (and vice versa with a low percentage but "works for you")

Sure, you may travel a lot and acceptance will matter, but a) it's still going to "local" to wherever you are  and b) your day-to-day spending is probably more significant.

Message 8 of 54
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Re relative acceptance, while there is some value in knowing US stats, what really matters more are the actual places you shop.   If Amex has 99% acceptance but the 1% includes your major stores the 99% doesn't matter that much (and vice versa with a low percentage but "works for you")

Sure, you may travel a lot and acceptance will matter, but a) it's still going to "local" to wherever you are  and b) your day-to-day spending is probably more significant.

EXACTLY. When I was approved for the WF Propel which uses the Amex system I was super excited, thinking I could use it almost exclusively for my normal spend. However the first trip to my local grocery store burst my bubble. They don't accept Amex. Same with the other 2 stores I normally frequent. I'm in a rural area so that is a factor of course.  I can use it at Hyvee and large grocery stores in Fargo and Sioux Falls of course.

Luckily my propane supplier codes as gasoline so these every-six-week $400+ winter fills result in lots of Propel spend.

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 9 of 54
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

@KatSoDak wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

EXACTLY. When I was approved for the WF Propel which uses the Amex system I was super excited, thinking I could use it almost exclusively for my normal spend. However the first trip to my local grocery store burst my bubble. They don't accept Amex. Same with the other 2 stores I normally frequent. I'm in a rural area so that is a factor of course.  I can use it at Hyvee and large grocery stores in Fargo and Sioux Falls of course.

Luckily my propane supplier codes as gasoline so these every-six-week $400+ winter fills result in lots of Propel spend.

Never thought you'd be grateful for a 400+ propane bill, huh!  😉

06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Message 10 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.