cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Amex accepted as widely as Visa and MC domestically?

tag
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is Amex accepted as widely as Visa and MC domestically?

Haha. I'd rather spend it on travel to somewhere warm!

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 11 of 54
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I can think of 1 time in the US when I had to pull out a Visa because they did not accept AMEX, it was a small sandwich shop in western Maine.

You're more prone to have trouble if outside the US outside of spots frequented by US business travelers.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 12 of 54
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I still have a few local places that don't accept Amex. Of the larger places, Lion's Choice, until recently, didn't accept Amex. I don't see it being much of an issue anymore these days.
Message 13 of 54
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

It seems that all the issuers are almost on the same footing these days. However, if I HAD to pick one that seems to have the lowest acceptance, I would say it's Disco. Strangely, though, the place where I work doesn't accept Amex.... Crazy

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 14 of 54
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

I've had the More Rewards for almost 9 months and have never had a problem with using it. 

I've used it pretty much daily without issue.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 15 of 54
GApeachy
Super Contributor

No, not in my town....We have a lot of businesses that will not accept AmEx.  County dump site for one, several small businesses ie. Electrical supply company, plumbing supply company, some local restaurants (which also do not accept Discover btw).   AmEx is our go-to card(s) but I have my guys carry back up cards as well, like usbank and cap1. 

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 16 of 54
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Up here in New Hamster we have a number of bus lines which run down to Boston, all owned by the same corporate entity if I'm not mistaken, and none of them take AMEX or Discover.  Smiley Tongue

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 17 of 54
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

Up here in New Hamster we have a number of bus lines which run down to Boston, all owned by the same corporate entity if I'm not mistaken, and none of them take AMEX or Discover.  Smiley Tongue

Oh crap, I lied.  It has been a couple of years since I took one of those rides down to Boston, I just checked their web site and they now accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and yes, AMEX.  Go figure.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 18 of 54
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Depends on where you are and where you shop.

The fact that I have to state this means that NO, it is not as widely accepted.

There are merchants who are both budget-conscious to pay Amex fees, but profitable enough to turn away Amex users (specialty stores and lots of Asian merchants in my area for example from restaurants to groceries, and I do not live in a small town at all).

Many articles do state that they are more or less ubiquitous, but I beg to differ based on actual experience.

(Internationally, it's a different story of course, as it is much worse. My favorite was a Hilton hotel not accepting the Hilton credit card).

Message 19 of 54
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

I'm in a big city, Seattle, and come across *small* merchants frequently that refuse AMEX.  All depends on your shopping habits.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 20 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.