Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Amex really utilization sensitive?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Is Amex really utilization sensitive?

I recently charged around $2000 on my BCE. I normally pif, but Im going to let my balance revolve this month as I see no reason not to while Im earning interest on savings and paying 0% on my BCE.

Is Amex really utilization sensitive? My util with them is still low as I have a $10500 limit, and my overall util is like 14%.
I don't want to get any AA for revolving a balance lol. Would revolving a balance affect my chance for my next 3xcli ?!? Im expecting to pay large payments (maybe 10-20x the min pmt) still- might pay $1000 of it next month, but I will pay it off even more quickly IF it's going to affect my next 3xcli. I want that $25k dangit!!!!
Should I even be worried? Lol I literally pay the day after my new statement comes out every month.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Is Amex really utilization sensitive?

There's nothing to worry about for your case.

You are overworrying!!! Smiley Very Happy

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Lol thanks for the reassurance haha :-P
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 15
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

You're worrying way too much, start using it like a normal person would so you don't stand out and you will be fine! Smiley Very Happy

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 4 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Oh, Ive been using it haha.
I use it for groceries and when I go out to upscale clubs!! Haha The $2k I spent though was family-related. Lol :-P
Message 5 of 15
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I just meant you don't always have to PIF, normal people don't always PIF especially if they're at 0% interest, keep your utilization below 25% overall and you will be totally fine.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 6 of 15
enharu
Super Contributor

Normal people don't always PIF even when interests isnt at 0% Smiley Tongue This is America that we're talking about.

Amex is probably as utilization sensitive as Chase or any other prime banks.

They just prefer that people don't get close to maxing out the cards for an extended period of time.

Afterall, people pay interests (and a good amount of it too), but at a certain tipping point it becomes worrisome if that person can even afford to pay the money back anymore.

For OP's case however, you're the type of individual where banks WANT your business more than you want theirs.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I dont mind revolving a balance if the rate is zero or near zero! Lol otherwise, I don't revolve balances- like on GE cards for example!
Okay, well then I guess I won't worry about it :-)
Thanks guys!!!
Message 8 of 15
Bobert22
Contributor

My brother was declined a 3X CLI at 4 months after account opening (he never requested CLI previously) due to "not paying enough compared to the balance on the account"

He had a 14K starting limit and had about $3,500 on the card (apple MacBook) and paid a couple hundred every month and the minimum $35 payment once.
Capital One 2006--$5,000 ||| AMEX Macy's 2008--$2,300 ||| Kohl's 2009-- $1,000 ||| JCP 2010-- $1,000 ||| Walmart Discover 2010-- $5,000 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,600 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,500 ||| Chase Freedom 2012--$7,500 ||| Discover IT 2013 -- $4,000
||| Chase Sapphire Preferred 2013 -- $10,000

SCORES: EQ FICO: 787, EX FAKO: 801, TU FICO: 790 (Lender Pull)
Message 9 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I knew I had read that somewhere!

If that happens to me, I will simply pay a large payment.

I never make just the min though. I always pay way more, if not pif.
Do you know like what percent of the balance his average payment was?
Im thinking if I pay at least 10-20% of the balance each month-that should keep me from getting a cli denial reason such as that.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.