cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Amex's Check Spending Ability Only For Charge Cards?

tag
tpatterson2k9
Regular Contributor

Is Amex's Check Spending Ability Only For Charge Cards?

I started out as an Amex customer back in April of this year after I was approved for the Blue Cash Everyday CC.  In the meantime, I have read a lot about needing to check your spending ability with Amex, especially for large purchases.  I noticed that I have this option with my Blue Cash Everyday CC, but is this feature really only for the charge card holders or does it apply to CCs as well?  The limit on my Amex CC is $3,900 so does this mean that I could purchase something up to say $3,800 without it getting declined or would this still present a problem if my normal CC charges are in the range of $50-$150?  Thanks in advance for your input everyone.

Starting Scores (lender pull 3/27/10): 759 (EQ), 752 (TU), 749 (EX)
Current Scores (myFICO 4/4/11): 768 (EQ)
Goal Scores: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Re: Is Amex's Check Spending Ability Only For Charge Cards?

I have the option for my Blue as well but it shouldn't be necessary since just about any purchase up to the limit should be approved. I wouldnt play with the button though.
Message 2 of 8
dude11
Regular Contributor

Yeah the check your spending ability button or feature applys to charge cards since you don't have a preset spending limit. Regular credit cards do so you can charge up to the limit, no need to check your spending ability.

Message 3 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

you can check it if you want and someone has posted that they did it for $100 or $200 above their CL and it approved... I kind of leaned towards that if it allows you to charge of your CL on the check spending that maybe it's time to ask for a CLI!! and I have had single charges up in the 8-10k range and I have never needed to test a charge or the store getting a "call in" please before the transaction would be approved.

however I tried to make an $8600 charge on a Chase Southwest with a $15k limit and I literally had to sit at the register with Chase on the phone for 30!!! 30 minutes going through verification questions that must have gone back 12 years... good thing I remember things like cars, colors, old accounts and CL on accounts that don't exist anymore!

Message 4 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Moths flying close to the flame, IMO.  Smiley Wink

* dzzztt *

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 8
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

Chase is like that, they will ask you if your nephew on your step-father's side who is left handed sits at the head of the table when the family of 5 sit down for dinner but if they sit down for breakfast, they want to confirm if you remember where he sits then. Smiley Happy

And if you get it wrong, you are out of luck.

And for the heck of it, I just went to the AMEX site for my Blue Preferred and checked my spending limit $800 over my credit limit and it chugged a little but came back and said I would be approved.

Message 6 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Scuba wrote:

Chase is like that, they will ask you if your nephew on your step-father's side who is left handed sits at the head of the table when the family of 5 sit down for dinner but if they sit down for breakfast, they want to confirm if you remember where he sits then. Smiley Happy

And if you get it wrong, you are out of luck.

And for the heck of it, I just went to the AMEX site for my Blue Preferred and checked my spending limit $800 over my credit limit and it chugged a little but came back and said I would be approved.

LOL at Chase joke!!

tell me if my thoughts are right, ask for a CLI 3x your current CL and see what it approves!!!!

Message 7 of 8
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

I did the 3x AMEX CLI on my Delta and was approved a couple of months ago.

I did mis-understand the once every 6 month CLI request when I tried for a CLI on my Blue a few days after my Delta CLI.  I was instantly denied (no pull) for the reason that I just got a CLI and have to wait for 6 months.  AMEX was just that clear in their denial. 

What I didn't understand was once you get a CLI, on any "credit" card, you have to wait on all your CC for 6 months,  But at least I got a whopping 3X on Delta. 

I will try again in December for a 3X on my lowly $2K Blue but would not have the courage to touch the $15K CL on my Delta. 

I just want to slip under the radar on that one.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.