Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Bank of America a good credit card?

tag
redbone37

Is Bank of America a good credit card?

Hi Forum,

I am on the road to rebuilding my credit, got some good news, Experian took alot of collections for medical bills off of my cr, received an offer from BOA for a credit card, just took a chance and got approved for 1200.00, the card says no annual fee, just wanted another card to improve debt to credit limit ratio, I heard the more credit available will also help score if u keep the utilization below 30%.  Was getting the BOA card a good move, how many cards are too much when in the rebuilding process, I now have a total of 4 cards with 2900.00 loc.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Is Bank of America a good credit card?

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your BoA card. Your fine with 4 cards. As far as how good is BoA I can't answer that. I can tell you to get the best credit score is to be <9% on one card when the statement cuts. That only means use you cards how you like but before the statement cuts pay them down so only one card reports a balance. You are well on your way to repairing your credit. I suggest paying on time and gardening your cards and let them grow. You are more than welcome to join the garden meeting in the credit card forum. Good Luck on your journey. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 7
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

BOA Customer Service has been excellent for me so far. I've been a member just since September and the Customer Service is extraordinary!
If you want a higher limit, you might just give 'em a call and ask!:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 7
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I can speak to BofA being a GREAT lender to me. They were willing and excited to take a great portion of debt at one point for me. They've always done every product change that I've requested and quite easily as well. With that said, I did those things after a year or years of having the cards so that might explain how willing they were.

I'm not sure I'll ever close my BofA cards. (2) GL and congrats on your road so far in rebuilding your credit! May you have tons of patience, as that will be the most valuable tool in your arsenal. Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 7
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats redbone!  Which card did you get?

In my experience, they tend to be a little on the conservative side, but BofA is a good addition and they will definitely grow their cards with you.  You can ask for an increase every 6 months (but it will be another hard pull), or if you use it alot, they're pretty good about auto increases.  I have two BofA cards; 3-2-1 cashback and Alaska Airlines Signature and can't think of any problems ever.

Message 5 of 7
lithium78
Established Contributor

BoA was the first prime lender that gave me a card while I was rebuilding and I have kept them ever since. The 123 Cash Rewards card is very good. The only downside is that you have to ask for CLIs and they are always hard pulls. Just use them regularly and they will be good to you. I use my 123 Cash Rewards as my general workhorse card and I got them to reduce my interest rate to 9.9%. That's pretty good for a rewards card.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I have the same question...well, a good CC lender.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.