Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Barclay similar to GE?

tag
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Is Barclay similar to GE?

I always see posts about Barclay credit cards. Are they similar to GE where they're credit cards from department stores?

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Is Barclay similar to GE?

Message 2 of 8
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Not similar at all.

Barclays has visa and mc versions of store cards

http://www.aboutbarclaycardus.com/prodsresource_products.php

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 3 of 8
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Well....I guess my question is...

Is Barclays an actual financial institution? Or is it like GE where they have banana republic, Old Navy (example), etc.

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 4 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 8
andre181
Established Contributor

Barclays is one of the biggest banks in the world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barclays

They offer co-branded store cards, like the Apple Store Financing cards, Priceline, LL Bean, various Airlines, etc. But all of these "store" cards are Visa or MC so they can be used anywhere. 

They also have their own cards (not co-branded). These include the Barclaycard Ring, Arrival, Barclaycard Rewards, etc.

Here is their lineup of cards that are available to US consumers: http://www.aboutbarclaycardus.com/prodsresource_products.php

So, no they aren't really like GE.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 6 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

@zeusta20 wrote:

I always see posts about Barclay credit cards. Are they similar to GE where they're credit cards from department stores?

Barclays has their own cards. 

The Ring, Arrival, Rewards are some of the cards that I can remember at the top of my head.

Barclays is a full fledge financial institution with a wide array of products / services. They are just not as "prominent" in the US consumer market. Their corporate and investment banking divisions account for most of their operations in the USA.

Anyhow, here's a list of largest banks if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_banks

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 8
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Ohhhh. Okay. That makes sense. Thanks everybody. That pretty much clarifies it for me. I was a little confused. I kept reading about Barclays and never really knew about them. Now it makes sense.

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.