cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card worth it?

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Is Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card worth it?

Wow, I'm amazed you were able to amass 10 credit cards with $112 k credit limitsSmiley Wink. Play on playaSmiley Happy
Message 11 of 15
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@RicHowe wrote:  "... It's no surprise to anyone here that I use "another issuer" as my card of choice for 98% of my spend; however, I do carry a CSP for one area of travel that is not included as a benefit (for now) with my preferred issuer, and that is Primary CDW coverage for rental cars. The $95 fee is a small cost and provides huge benefit for me as I travel."

Yes, I didn't mention that in my comparison of the CSP and CSR since they both offer that Primary CDW coverage, but that is a great feature of both cards and one that is rare to find!  Thanks for mentioning it.

For anyone not familiar, many cards may offer "secondary" coverage if you pay for a rental car with them which allows you to waive the expense of a rental car company-paid insurance policy.  However, that secondary coverage only pays AFTER your own car insurance pays, which means you are out the deductible as well as risk raising your future auto premiums.  Primary coverage means VISA pays FIRST and totally leaves your car insurance out of the equation, a pretty sweet perk!  Smiley LOL

AMEX Platinum offers primary coverage on a rental-by-rental basis at an additional cost.  Secondary coverage is included.  CSP and CSR give you primary coverage on all rentals at no additional cost. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have though about this very issue before and concluded that either the Sapphire Preferred or Sapphire Reserve are most suitable for someone who flies either Southwest or United a lot. In my case, although I don't fly much to begin with, the airlines I'm most likely to fly on are American and Delta, so I can't really see myself getting this card.

Message 13 of 15
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:  "... I have though about this very issue before and concluded that either the Sapphire Preferred or Sapphire Reserve are most suitable for someone who flies either Southwest or United a lot. In my case, although I don't fly much to begin with, the airlines I'm most likely to fly on are American and Delta, so I can't really see myself getting this card."

Interesting, but I'm not sure where you drew that conclusion?  Please explain more. 

One reason I was attracted to the CSP and CSR was because I thought compared to some other travel cards, they were more flexible in both earning rewards and redeeming rewards, regardless of which hotels or airlines you used, and could be useful even for the occsasional traveler.  (CSR as long as you spent at least the $300 annually on the card to get that cash back, and as long as you had regular spending in travel or dining out or both. )

Business Cards

Message 14 of 15
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:
Thank you for that. I would say your post has been the most informative piece I have ever read on the Chase CSP and CSR. Wow. I finally understand.

You're welcome, glad it helped!  After studying it, I'm a believer in the "Chase Trifecta"! 

You have some cards I'd like to learn more about.  Please tell me about your experiences with these cash-back cards in terms of customer service, ease of redemption, and value.  (As a vet, I would get the 2% rate on the PenFed card without a checking account, so it seems like a  great deal in particular.) 

(1)  PenFed Power Cash

(2)  NFCU Cash Rewards

(3)  Citi Double Cash

Business Cards

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.