Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Chase worth it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Chase worth it?

I agree, Chase is definitely worth it. I’ve had a banking relationship with Chase for 12 years and have had a few credit cards open with them for almost as long. Over time, Chase has built ultimate rewards up to something rather special. Good transfer partners (the best hotel partners of any transferable point program, in my opinion), great travel protections (with the CSR and CSP), fantastic earning rates (given that you can combine points across your credit cards with no loss in value, which guarantees you a minimum 1.5 points per dollar on any transaction and heightens the possibility to 5 points per dollar with the freedom card, etc. Chase has also been wonderful when fraud has occurred on my cards. I’ve just called them up and they took care of everything, and I never had to break a sweat. Customer service is quite friendly. They matched my signup bonus for the CSP to 50,000 because the publicly available offer went from 40,000 to 50,000 after I applied. All in all, I have no complaints about Chase (except, perhaps, the 5/24 rule), and their products have been a good fit for me.
Message 21 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the useful info. I have a total of 9 inquiries on my reports over the past 24, but only 2 of those are opened accounts. Being Citi Diamond Prerred, and BCE on 7/11/17. And of course the two recent Amex cards on 3-18-18. I've heard they do not count other loan types just CC accnt. The Auto loan was in 8-16, hence the several inquiries in one day. <so don't know if those would be counted either). Then I have a personal loan opened on 7-17. My average age of crdit is just under 4 years, only have two accounts past the 10-20 year mark. Been rebuilding, so most of them only go back 5 years. My utilization is under 10% Amex, Citi and Discover all list my score as being over 750. 

My plan was to go for CSP or the Freedom. And just convert the Diamond into the double cash. But I wanted some input first.

Message 22 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no way I would get Thank You Preffered over Premier. Premier comes with 50k points and you can earn points a lot easier.  Premier has no annual fee the first year. If I were you I would get the CSP first and then get the Thank You Premier.  You will get over 1000 dollars combined and pay no annual fee the first year.  Try them both for a year and see which one you like best.  You can try the PRG too. Try them all get all the bonuses and you can see which is the better one for your style. 

Message 23 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay so I decided to go with the CSP, approved for SL of $14K. Should I also take advantage of the same HP and app for the Freedom in same day, or wait until "offers" show up in my accnt? The 30 day rule?

Message 24 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you check the pre-qual to see what comes up? Congrats on the CSP!!
Message 25 of 36
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Okay so I decided to go with the CSP, approved for SL of $14K. Should I also take advantage of the same HP and app for the Freedom in same day, or wait until "offers" show up in my accnt? The 30 day rule?

You got a Chase card. I wouldn't push it. Applying for two chase cards on the same pull and then having two new amex cards pop up seems like its asking to draw attention for agressive credit seeking. I think you will probably be fine with three cards, but pushing chase for more credit immediately might trigger something with the computers, especially if you were not previously a chase customer. Just chill and garden at this point. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 26 of 36
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@red259wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

You got a Chase card. I wouldn't push it. Applying for two chase cards on the same pull and then having two new amex cards pop up seems like its asking to draw attention for agressive credit seeking. I think you will probably be fine with three cards, but pushing chase for more credit immediately might trigger something with the computers, especially if you were not previously a chase customer. Just chill and garden at this point. 

Agreed, just leave it be and see how you like the UR points.

Message 27 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I just heard about the combining of points was all. I'll wait another year or so before bug them again. Now i just have to find a way to meet their spend for the bonus points, since I have the two Amex cards as well. Looks like I need to start using my debt card/cash less. lol

Thanks all!

Message 28 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think six months between apps is fine.  I was approved for the Chase Freedom on 12/28; applying through a personal banker after a pre-qualification popped on the online tool.  I then cold app'd for the Chase Amazon card on 2/26 and was also approved.  But I'm putting six months between the Freedom approval and my next Chase app primarily because I was told by a personal banker that it takes about that time for new offers to come along after an online pre-qualification offer is accepted. I can't vouch for the accuracy of that information but 6 months seems like appropriate breathing room to create a payment history on the existing Chase cards. 

Message 29 of 36
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

I think six months between apps is fine.  I was approved for the Chase Freedom on 12/28; applying through a personal banker after a pre-qualification popped on the online tool.  I then cold app'd for the Chase Amazon card on 2/26 and was also approved.  But I'm putting six months between the Freedom approval and my next Chase app primarily because I was told by a personal banker that it takes about that time for new offers to come along after an online pre-qualification offer is accepted. I can't vouch for the accuracy of that information but 6 months seems like appropriate breathing room to create a payment history on the existing Chase cards. 

I think 6 months between chase cards is realistic. This is assuming that in the next 6 months you don't app for another 20 cards. I have most the cards I really want, so don't app very often but back when I had a lot of cards I was going after I would app for 3-4 cards and then wait six months before doing more apps. This was before the 5/24 rule. Now I app pretty much only for business cards and usually app for 1 or 2 every six months. A lot of that has to do with fewer choices or waiting on bonus clocks to reset. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.